The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery, I was told that the boot latch didn't work, but they made it sound as if it was just the manual mechanism wasn't working. Turned out that that electric/remote mechanism wasn't working and I learned that my boot/hatch never latched at all - it was always open.

So, I took a shot at fixing it to today and was able to get it working using some zip ties in place of the cable (on back order) that connects the electric pull to the latch. Tested it a few times and it worked great. I can lock the car now!

I was very happy about my solution, until I went to start the car only to find out that it wouldn't turn over. Since jumping it, the car has been running fine and I can take it places, lock it and leave.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the boot never fully latching (it would never engage, due to the latch being out of place), I am pretty sure my trunk lights would have been on the whole time. So, after bringing it home last night, my battery was being drained by the boot lights. Which, with this being a problem the dealer was aware of, would have been issue for them too, right? So, I'm thinking they would have had to jump the car (probably multiple times) while it was in their possession and before I took delivery, right? If so, I'm even more pissed than I already was with this (non-Lotus) dealer.

I'm glad it's fixed, but really annoyed at what seems to be something the dealer hid from. Now it's time to find some LED lights to put in the boot and cabin.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
+1 for LEDs in the car
I put them everywhere I could. The Evora is know for some parasitic drain, so if I do not plan to drive for a week or so I plug in my battery tender.
Give it a good charge at about 2 amps over night and see if it charges the battery and corrects the problem.
My dealer pulls the OEM battery out of their Evoras on delivery and replace them with Interstate batteries.

·
Registered
220 Posts
:shrug:very small window of charge on these cars, if i have door open or stereo on for 10 minutes drains to where car will not start, have interstate MTP-91 which is a very hefty battery amazing the juice these cars uses/or needs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordering LEDs for the boot, dome and license plate. It's an interstate battery that's in there, which is good, but I'm kinda pissed at the dealer - because it would seem they had to deal with jumping the car and didn't try to fix it - or tell me.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
You definitively have a dealer issue! The full list of issues you mentioned in the other post and this clearly show they have "don't care" attitude:
- munged up insulation and hose
- driver's side A frame pillar cracked
- passenger window
- seat belt retractor
- trunk latch
All thing any reasonable dealer would check BEFORE he takes your money and gives you the keys!

And, because of its hand-built nature any Lotus tends to ripen at the customer, so you either need a good dealer or you can expect to spend quite some time doing it all yourself.

BTW: yes, an open trunk does drain the battery, faster than you think. I believe its not just the trunk light, but the entire system won't go into "deep sleep mode" if a door or trunk is open.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...I think I got the double whammy with dealers. The dealer I bought it from (local Jag dealer) didn't care and nor did the Lotus deal that they took it to.

The latch not working - which the Jag dealer knew of - was obviously draining the battery, yet they sold it to me with no indication of that problem, other than telling me the latch needed a part (which they said was on "national backorder"). I wonder how many times they had to jump start the car while they had it? I ordered the part from mylotusgarage.com last night for $5.48. Idiots.

And I'm pretty sure it was the local Lotus dealer who screwed up the firewall insulation - which is plainly visible from the rear window. The Jag dealer has promised me they'll take care of it. It's a $137 part, but looks like it could be a bear to replace. And if it means taking it back to the local Lotus dealer, I'll find some other solution.

I was able to fix the seat belt and window situations. Seems they might have been minor "Lotusisms" and I was able rig the hatch latch with some zip ties until my parts arrive next week. All of that aside, I'm really enjoying the car - as is my family - and I'm actually looking forward to giving the interior a good cleaning today.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would also suggest replacing the footwell lights with leds. Make sure you pull the fuse first. Replace the glovebox light too if you are really anal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts