The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased 07 Elise came with the much dreaded OEM front license plate holder. I couldn't wait to get that thing off, so I met with my local dealer and we decided on a custom "Elise" plate to go in its place, covering up the two holes that would be left in the clam.

Well, upon picking up my car with the "fix" - its now evident the license plate holder was covering up more than just two holes; it was on so tight and taking the brunt of any scrape. This resulted in some chips and a horizontal crack through the clam running about 1 inch across the bottom.

What is a simple cosmetic fix here? It bothers me most that its the first thing I see everytime I look at the front of the car. I don't have reason to think the dealer did anything, but am a little dissappointed they didn't contact me upon discovering the chips and crack before mounting the new badge.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You could probably hit it with a little bit of touch-up in your car's color. It would practically disappear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could probably hit it with a little bit of touch-up in your car's color. It would practically disappear.
Definitely planning that for the scrape along the bottom and the smaller chips. What about the deeper one on the left and the crack? Anything I need to worry about longer-term?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Hard to tell how bad it is with the Elise banner on it. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would say it looks a bit f-ed up to me, as in a crack. It’s in a spot that’s not so obvious, so it’s not as bad as it could be. Take it to a body shop and have it fixed from behind (if it needs it). Then maybe put that sticker back on. Shouldn’t be a big deal to fix. But it looks cracked to me, and cracked in a place that the crack could keep growing if not fixed.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
yea i would say at least put a small amount of west epoxy and micro balloons to fill the cracks.if you are very careful.you can fill it and sand it down.then touch it up.this will keep the cracks from growing.i have used this stuff on my car with great results.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone - I appreciate all your feedback. I'm going to try the West Epoxy...wish me luck.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You could try putting a splitter on after to hide the touchup and to protect against further damage. You should probably re-inforce it from behind as well and if you put a splitter you can do it while the bottom front panel is off.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
That'll need a new clam.........'bout $ 10,000. finished. :eek:

seriously.......

go to pep boys........get some fiberglass resin........you'll never see it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been meaning to post my results - thanks to all on the forum for the advice. Some West Epoxy w/ micro balloons and touchup paint, and issue over...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts