The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me the bad things about the FJ Cruiser.

Thinking about buying an Toyota FJ Cruiser in the states as a family/tow car. Only read good things and want to know the rest.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very limited view and big blind spots while driving one,...gas mileage isn't that good either

Always better than a Hummer though...and personally, I think they look nice!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Id say the only downside is gas mileage... Not sure why people are complaing about the blind spot, really a no issue for me, but maybe thats because my exige has a much worse blind spot.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a friend who is considering selling his. black on black with some red highlights. very clean; very well cared for. it was one of the limited editions. if you are interested, send me a pm, and I will put you two in contact.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gas milage

I am thinking that average city and highway, or since I will be in Silicon Valley stop and go highway will be about 20mpg, highway about 23mpg and off road will be 15 mpg.

Do these numbers sound about right?

Scot

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
New 4 Door Wranglers look better...:D

115 - Copy.JPG

087 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
166 Posts
FJ cruiser is a really cool car, we took one up state for a little camping just before winter and we really enjoyed it. Streams and certain at rocks taken on at certain speeds are no problem for the car, and the best part about it is the fact that you can open up all four doors of the car and stick a hose in and basically rinse the car out with a hose!

As for the wrangler, i always heard they had a bad ride, bad reliability, and too short of a wheelbase to make highway driving smooth. But then again, just stuff that I heard from my crazy uncle...

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
FJ cruiser is a really cool car, we took one up state for a little camping just before winter and we really enjoyed it. Streams and certain at rocks taken on at certain speeds are no problem for the car, and the best part about it is the fact that you can open up all four doors of the car and stick a hose in and basically rinse the car out with a hose!

As for the wrangler, i always heard they had a bad ride, bad reliability, and too short of a wheelbase to make highway driving smooth. But then again, just stuff that I heard from my crazy uncle...
that was true abt older wranglers. rugby has the new version where they extended the wheelbase and some creature comforts.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
bad things....hmmmm.....are u going to offroad it? if so, those pretty rear lights stick out from the back and sides too far....if u get caught in a tight spot, say bye bye to them.
towing? well i believe its a v6. will that be big enough?
will u be having rear passengers regularly? if so, make sure u can live with the entry/exit from the rear seats. (or ur passengers that is)
looks.....subjective. thats up to u.

i have never seen one offroad, so i cannot comment. it is supported aftermarket with various lift kits, upgrades etc....
if its a street vehicle, there are more comfortable SUVs out there that are more capable of towing.
a ford explorer is a very competent and comfortable vehicle for your purposes perhaps.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I actually like the rear doors. Yes, on some occasions if someone parks really close to you it can be a bit tight for you and your backseat passenger. But in most situations it works very well and is actually easier to get in and out of than regular doors.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I test drove one before I purchased an Xterra, I liked it but didn't end up purchasing it. I liked the interior of the Xterra better, seems easier to clean, and the blindspots in the cruiser were annoying, but that goes for most cars. Overall, I enjoyed it, but went with the Xterra, mostly due to the offroad factor and comparisons I read between the two vehicles. There was nothing that made me cringe about the car, just as an overall package it was not me. I work with an individual that has one and he really likes it, I guess I just wanted to blend in with the other thousands of Xterra owners here, since I stick out like a sore thumb in the Elise.

·
Registered
566 Posts
While you are at Toyota check out the 5.7L Tundra. Better power and utility IMO, plus they are quite comfortable with plenty of room inside.

I recently got a TRD doublecab and its a great truck.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0802/gallery.2008_cr_worst_cars/index.html

I realize they are not the best source of info,and only weighed on road performance, but...." the Wrangler Unlimited gets the lowest score of any vehicle the magazine currently rates."

FJ is also on their list ....
i see my old beloved h3 is second on that list to the wrangler....
also note in the first line they issue a disclaimer that they do not consider offroad ability in their final score.
almost like having ur mom rate the elise as a daily driver. most would score it pretty low.
when u want good offroad ability u usually sacrifice some street manners or something in another area to keep costs in line, or true to function.
i would not buy a wrangler, esp rubicon or a hummer unless i was going to offroad it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts