The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
after I got some stupid answers but no help in a german forum, I try to ask my question here rotfl.

I'm driving a Elise SC with the Lotus Stage II sports exhaust. I would be happy about blue flames coming out of the exhaust, if I change the gears at high engine speed.

What must I change and has anyone experience with that?

Red something here in the forum about to stop the fuel cut in boost (I mean motor braking, not sure if I found the right word in the dictionary ;)).

Never the less, I'm glad about every help.

Greets,
Constantin

·
Registered
99 Posts
Flames out the back means a lean fuel mixture in your slow circuit. So if you want flames, just lean it right out. It`s called backfiring. It`s not good for any part of the motor, and will make it run to hot. Could also blow the inside of the muffler right out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it damage the engine? I'm wondering because I heard that race cars cool their engines by that way, because the unburned fuel passes the cylinder without burning,....and ignites after it in the hot parts of the exhaust.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The flames are usually the fuel dump once you go off throttle(thats what the pops are on a stage ii),.

you can artificially raise it to make flames but its not good for the car, since you're basically flushing the cylinder walls with unburnt fuel which can wash off the oil.

you do it by disabling the overrun fuel cut off, then richen up the mixture via the deceleration enrichment and retard the spark.

its fun for a couple of runs on the dyno, but not recommended for street cars, especially given that you're basically spitting unburned fuel into the exhaust and if the exhaust.cat isn't upto temp or igniting it, that fuel can end up spread over the back end of the car, even with a diffuser exit, it could vortex up into the rear of the car.

it'll also discolour the clam if you've got a short tip rear exit exhaust

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for your answer, Charliex.
:)

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
or just decat and run race gas....
(see avatar)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
This guy uses propane and spark plugs........HUGE flames come out !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
hard to see in the video, but this was about 5 feet and you wouldn't want to be standing behind it :)

ronin exige

decatting the car means that the unspent fuel from the fuel dump burns off in the exhaust rather than the cat, you just need an exhaust that lets the flame out.

my car has an odd flame apparently, it burns like a glowing gas burner, not a pop of fire, but a constant blue flame, though i've reconfigured it since then.

·
shay2nak
25,131 Posts
The flames are usually the fuel dump once you go off throttle(thats what the pops are on a stage ii),.

you can artificially raise it to make flames but its not good for the car, since you're basically flushing the cylinder walls with unburnt fuel which can wash off the oil.

you do it by disabling the overrun fuel cut off, then richen up the mixture via the deceleration enrichment and retard the spark.

its fun for a couple of runs on the dyno, but not recommended for street cars, especially given that you're basically spitting unburned fuel into the exhaust and if the exhaust.cat isn't upto temp or igniting it, that fuel can end up spread over the back end of the car, even with a diffuser exit, it could vortex up into the rear of the car.

it'll also discolour the clam if you've got a short tip rear exit exhaust
Is that similar to burbling? When I decelerate it's a constant brbrbrbbrrbrbrbbr. Prettly hillarious and only happened after our retune. :D In fact it should be on the videos you guys took as Frank wound the car down after each pull. Now I'm wondering when I fit my decat and 6" 2bular if that brbrbrbbrbbb is going to be accented by multiple flames popping out?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, if I decat my SC, would if also have -small- small flames?
Or doesn't it work with the stage II, like shay2nak said :)??

Or does I have no chance, without changing the egnition times.
Sound here that it's not necessary :).

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Did somebody say exhaust flame?:D

-eek-

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
My setup is stock header, 2bular decat, 2bular GT3 exhaust

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah i have a von hep and 2bular decat and i shoot flames. Only 1st to 2nd shift usually.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts