The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the common problem of flashing start engine button, and decided to either fix it or disable it.

After you remove the panel, you'll see a grey/white connector that plugs to the switch in the picture. There are 4 wires on the connector, 1 red and 3 black.

Check that the pair of red/black wires has consistent 12v. In my case, it does.

I then put 12v dc through the pictured button, the leg with the fasten tab is + . There is no light, so it must be a faulty LED.

To get to the LED , you'll have to break the button base. The button is glued together, a combo of box cutter + pointy screw driver did it for me, but be careful beacuse there are 2 small springs inside.

The good news is the actual switch that starts the card is on a another switch not on the picture, so even without the button on the pic, you can still start the car.

I have never seen this type of LED. Any idea where I may find one? It takes 12 v, and the base of the LED says 12vdc EBT S1.

I may just get a regular amber LED from electronic and solder something up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This problem has also been driving me crazy for the past 6 months. I'm ready to paint the damn button black or something. Is there a way to just disable it without breaking the button base?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
disabling the light of the button is easy, just undo the panel, cut the red wire ( the only red one of the 4 ) to the button, and it won't light up.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Mine flickered for a few days before retiring altogether. I like it better off - less inside light at night and I don't need the light to know where it's at.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Mine began flickering after a few laps at the track.
The springs are probably fatigued, thus the LED isn't
seated properly in the housing.

a guess?
-Robert

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to a electronic store and tried to find a replacemnt LED.

Their 12v leds comes with a socket that's big, and I didn't want to border to remove the socket to fit the led into the grey button socket.

I ended up getting a wide angle (30 degrees) amber led, and a resistor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I didn't want to get another button from the dealer in the fear of it lasting another 2 years only. The LED in the factory button sits in a pushed-in socket like a ordinary bulb, the spring does not hold it in place, so I don't think it's poor contact that makes it flash, it's the led itself.
When I took apart my button, the LED died for good.

As a side note, my led is a little bit brighter than the factory one, I didn't notice it until it was all assembled, and I drove the car at night. So try your replacement LED at night with lights off before you glue the button together. Had I knew that, I may put some paint at the tip of the LED.

The LED + resister costed me $4 ... the flashing button was sooo annoying.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO BREAK THE STARTER!

The LED is easily removed by simply pulling off the starter button itself.
The button pops off the base and presto, a nicely nested LED waiting to be plucked. That's how I got mine out.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,160 Posts
The LED is easily removed by simply pulling off the starter button itself.
The button pops off the base and presto, a nicely nested LED waiting to be plucked. That's how I got mine out.
Wait... do you have to remove the instrument panel to do that or just pop it off as is? I am not very mechanically inclined and would want to minimize the work I do on my car... mainly to avoid damaging other stuff because I know myself very well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to say 'Thank You' to everyone that posted to this string. I had the same problem and with zero mechanical aptitude, I was able to replace the the bulb. Also, I really appreciate the fact that the part number was posted and a website for ordering. I did the same - ordered a blue LED and an amber LED just in case. I think the total was like $5.

I do want to add that while I really appreciated the pictures, I want to tell folks that you DO NOT need to break the thing open in order to get the bulb out. You unscrew a metal ring thingy and then you can just pop the top off (the engine start button that you press on). Only took me a little while to replace and just used some needle nose pliers to pluck the old LED light out once I had the top off and put the blue one in.

Looks very different at night than during the day when I did it. I really like the blue, but now have the amber just in case as a back up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does anyone have source and part number for the proper led?

·
Registered
159 Posts
superbrightleds.com

Here you go. I replaced mine with blue. Looks better than amber.

Midget Groove LED bulb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the info:

[email protected]

New Order: Monday, December 26, 2011 at 14:35:32 from UNITED STATES.

---------- PRODUCT INFORMATION ----------

Qty | Product / Options | Price/ea |
================================================== ==========
1 | MG-x-WV: Midget Groove LED bulb | $ 0.99 |
MG-A-WV: Amber
------------------------------------------------------------
1 | MG-x-WV: Midget Groove LED bulb | $ 1.29 |
MG-B-WV: Blue
------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have source and part number for the proper led?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks much, Wade Sun.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Ummm, sorry I didn't see this thread until parts seem to already have been broken, but you don't have to break anything to get at the light.
And I replaced mine with a green LED for - I think it was $2 shipped - I bought a few different colors so the scale lowered the each price.
I thought I'd post this in case someone does a search later and thinks they have to break stuff maybe they read this and don't. Also you can customize the color. I try not to judge, but I thought the yellow seemed out of place.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Super easy to do. No need to break it open like others have said.
Does anyone have any pics of how the Start Button face comes off? :shrug:

... I've been searching and can find dozens of places where someone says "that it does" ...but none showing how it does or what it looks like.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts