The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the front tires on my 06 Elise that has LSD/TC. Shortly thereafter, whenever I make a turn the traction control light would flash a couple times and I would get some noise from the tires (I'm assuming it's from the tires). It doesn't matter whether I'm just making a turn from a stop sign or just making a turn on a canyon road, though the faster I'm going the less I have to turn the wheel to have this happen (and it doesn't matter which direction - left or right). I don't notice it if I'm coasting around a corner, only if the car is accelerating. The noise kinda sounds like when a front wheel drive car is about to lose a CV joint - but not that loud.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is it a danger? I want to get some ideas before bringing it in to the shop - or is this one of those TADTS situations.

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
There're a few well documented threads on this. It's your traction control being confused by the new tires, and throttling back, just like the rev. limiter. Most everyone with this issue just turns-off their traction control if they are doing low speed driving with turns like this. To turn off your traction control just hold the button for 3 seconds (on shift console).

Edit: didn't notice the part about front tires being the ones replaced.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,421 Posts
I know you stated that only the front tires were replaced, but it wouldn’t be the first time someone put the rear rims on the front and the front rims on the rear. It is Quick and easy to check at least.

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.
San_Fran, do you have any links to the threads. I tried using search but my google-fu is low and couldn't find them. Part of it is that LSD and TC are too short for the search function to find.
LostPawn, yes I verified the wheels. I watched them replace them and they never touched the rears.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,421 Posts
If you don’t already, try adding site:lotustalk.com after your google searches and it will help some. Sorry I do not have anything more helpful than that on this issue.

Traction control site:lotustalk.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts