The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not good news for another USA dealer. The NC dealer is no longer selling but still servicing. Only time will tell when that ends...

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
As much as we'd all like another car like an Elige; an Evora replacement, or even a new Esprit, it's all for naught if Lotus/Geely doesn't finally get a solid, stable, and relatively accessible dealer network. We should be clamoring more for information about an updated network than about the next cars.

As much as the Elige was a boon to Lotus in MY 05, it also backfired. They sold what, 1000 more units in 05 than expected? By the end of 05, lightly used cars were hitting the used car market when many of the first adopters realized it was a big go kart, not actually a car as they knew them.

So year over year the dealers were expected to sell little changed, brand new cars at new car prices against a vibrant lightly used market, at big discounts.

Ultimately several very long standing dealerships, like Rothrock in Philly and Criswell in Gaithersburg, MD sold a ton of Elises then dropped their franchises. This after a decade and a half of trickling an Esprit or two through their showrooms each year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealerships over the years giving up on the "niche" brand. Flow Lotus advised me " no more sales, however we have 1 tech, if any warranty service, drop off the car with us for a few weeks, while we get the part and approval from Lotus". A Lotus owner is for sure from a different breed. San Diego, Arizona, Tampa, Philadelphia, Baltimore, to name a few that said bye bye to Lotus. Las Vegas gave up but another dealer picked up the franchise a few months later. Dallas Park Place , not sure if they are hanging onto Lotus. "Niche" reminds me of SAAB (RIP).

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
For what it's worth, everyone who ever dealt with Flow Lotus knew better than to do it twice. They were universally hated by anyone who dealt with them, so it is hardly a loss.
This is very true. The one time my car was there, they scratched the paint, over-tightened the lug nuts, shorted the engine oil by a quart and didn't ask what type of oil I had in the motor. Then they tried to give me some warranty parts that were damaged. They also would not fix a warranty issue with the trans because I had installed aftermarket parts on the engine; motor mounts and oil pan. They said Lotus had denied it but I checked and the request was not in the Lotus database for the car.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I knew they were going that way when they stopped updating the 'mylotusgarage.com' web store. As somebody who lived in NC for over a decade and has car culture friends from the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area, I knew to stay away from Flow anything before hearing the stories about their efforts at Lotus support here.

Flow quit selling Lotus? Nothing of value was lost. If we're lucky, one of the other exotic dealerships in the area will pick up the marque once there's something to sell.

That said, I think that was my closest Lotus dealership as well. There's not one in VA, MD, NC, or WV, so I think that means either Pittsburgh (really Wexford, another hour north, so six hours away) or NJ (probably longer, given the traffic going that way).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I heard this awhile back that very few current Lotus Dealers will actually be Lotus dealers in the future.....not sure if that will end up being true or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm curious when their last sale was, but as other's have said it seemed like the last place you'd want to take your Lotus to.

Looks like that leaves Maserati Lotus in Greenville SC as the last one in the Carolinas for buying new.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I heard this awhile back that very few current Lotus Dealers will actually be Lotus dealers in the future.....not sure if that will end up being true or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's pretty much been the pattern for Lotus since the beginning.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I had very positive experience x years ago. I think it was Ken Scott who set it all up, but the actual technician did right by me.

I had read all the negative reviews over the years, but my experience ( fortunately for me ) went very well. Much like my experiences with 2bular, RLS, Eliseparts, Elise-shop etc... I thank my lucky stahs!!!

The Lotus Gods have tested me in other ways through the years though...heh.

Wouldn't dealerships join in if/ when new vehicles were produced? Doesn't it work like that?

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Might be Geely is letting the dead wood float away. My gut is that it is only a matter of time before Volvo dealerships incorporate Lotus. Just makes sense from the perspective of coverage, parts shipping etc. Let dealerships have 1 car on hand for demo, and let it get back to an order it as a custom order format. Notice all the cars that hang around with black interiors for example? If I were to get a GT, it would be like the classic red/tan color combo from the Esprit era next time. Good luck finding one of those around.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts