The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy in a 39 hot rod backed into me in a parking lot leaving cars and coffee.. Says he didn't see me and I hit horn didn't hear me ..anybody know about reputable shop in upstate NY or even pa or nj I'll drive to get the right job for this.. Just cosmetic he hit me going less than 5 mph... Just got car in march 2008 with 3 k miles like new I'm so sick right now

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ouch :( sorry man, that completely sucks. You'd think car guys would have a bit more awareness, especially at a car event.

Can that even be repaired, or do you think you're looking at a new clam?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I take to dealers? Were do I start? Sombody mentioned diminished value check for more money ?

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Had you installed a louder horn??

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I had a front clam wound and took it to a good Corvette repair shop. They even replaced the Starshield (that I ordered online). Looks like new. $850, but mine was lower so the clam got to stay on. Sorry that happened.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,935 Posts
He is an idiot. :facepalm

I know the car is small, but it's not completely invisible. I'd be so pissed/sad at the same time. Get one of the ORE clams they are selling now.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Sorry to see that. :(

Our little bodyshop in Missoula, Montana was able to fix damage worse then that. I'm sure a shop in the chicago area can handle it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Well, the good thing is, there is a lot of witnesses who can support your claim that it wasn't your fault at all. Go through with the hot rod guy's insurance and make it new with all correct parts.

Also, get some sort of paint protection film after the repairs if you car didn't have them already.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,608 Posts
Man,

Sorry to see that. I can't imagine how angry that would make me... I won't even offer any trite cliche platitudes.

·
He's on fire!
3,346 Posts
if this occurred in parking lot, there is no such thing as 'fault' AFAIK. Its considered private property so you'll likely be dealing with your own insurance. And thus, attempting to get diminished value would be a pointless exercise (because if its no one's fault, its your fault)

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Guy in a 39 hot rod backed into me in a parking lot leaving cars and coffee.. Says he didn't see me and I hit horn didn't hear me ..anybody know about reputable shop in upstate NY or even pa or nj I'll drive to get the right job for this.. Just cosmetic he hit me going less than 5 mph... Just got car in march 2008 with 3 k miles like new I'm so sick right now
That is a little more than "cosmetic"... but as it is an Exige clam it will be easier to repair than an Elise one (as it is a hand laid fiberglass)... but I suspect it will be more cost effective to simply replace.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Time to get a CF Clam!

·
Registered
98 Posts
if this occurred in parking lot, there is no such thing as 'fault' AFAIK. Its considered private property so you'll likely be dealing with your own insurance. And thus, attempting to get diminished value would be a pointless exercise (because if its no one's fault, its your fault)
I had a guy back into me in a parking lot. His insurance payed for the repair.

Can't speak to "diminished value" requests. This seems to be a fairly new claim in the insurance world.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I had a guy back into me in a parking lot. His insurance payed for the repair.

Can't speak to "diminished value" requests. This seems to be a fairly new claim in the insurance world.
Same here in MA with my car. Guy's insurance low-balled it of course, but payed in the end for the new parts. Getting a clam from Lotus isn't easy at the moment from what I hear, but some resourceful members are taking care of that now..

Good luck! I had a butt-pucker moment today at a stoplight when I looked in the rearview and saw an 80+ lady heading toward me a little too fast.. Thought for sure I was in for a new rear clam but she found the brakes in time. :)

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Close ups... I don't think anything is bad with the front crash structure piece.. Just new clam and turn signal ...he has good classic car insurance so I think this should go well... I have sourced a OEM clam being proactive and give info to my body shop of choice...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts