The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Lotusheads,

Eric-the-Bastard here. Those that peruse the new guy threads have already read my introduction from this weekend.

After a 24 year relationship (10 years and 70k miles of actual driving) with a 66 Jaguar E-type, I've decided to give up my anachronistic ways (although I'm all of 42) and buy an Elise. My plan was to buy a new SC, but I found an '05 chrome orange/black interior/black wheels standard Elise sans sport pack for 28k locally and decided to pocket $30k.

Wow.

The primary difference in Lotus motoring vs. Jaguar motoring is that in the Elise I can't get the smile off my face; In the Jaguar E-type I can't get the look of concern off my face.

I'm looking forward to a long and happy life with this car. What a blast. I'll probably put 1000 miles into Thursday/Friday this week up through the central coast of California, but before I do, I need new tires. Any place in the LA area that I can get a set of AD07s purchased and mounted quickly?

Cheers,
EtB
05 Lotus Elise
66 Jaguar E-type

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
glad to see you kept the jag.

Welcome.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm on my 4000th set of miles and I still have the silly grin on my face.

tires will make a HUGE difference. it did on mine. I went out and nearly soiled myself from laughing so hard.

I'll see you at 100K

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey man, such claims are not substantiated without PICTURES!!! Looking at Lotus's's's's... Is an addiction for me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics will be up tomorrow.

I learned something new tonight. Cold tires are DANGEROUS! Nearly swapped ends in 2nd gear. Sobering experience, glad it happened early on a deserted road. Cold tires, full throttle, second cam, slight steering input, :panic:, lightning reflexes, nice recovery.

Driving out to Sector111 tomorrow to pick up new tires - hopefully they will have heat in them.

Cheers,
EtB

·
Registered
140 Posts
congrats on your purchase - and glad to hear you saved it from swapping ends tonight :) The last set of AD07's I purchased from Discount tire - it took a couple of days for them to arrive... there are various discussions regarding other tire/brands/sizes that will fit our cars, so that's an option too... If you end up getting them from Sector111, cool beans as they are a quality establishment.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I learned something new tonight. Cold tires are DANGEROUS! Nearly swapped ends in 2nd gear. Sobering experience, glad it happened early on a deserted road. Cold tires, full throttle, second cam, slight steering input, :panic:, lightning reflexes, nice recovery.
...it mightn't need to be said, but - the balance under throttle load of a mid-engined car is fundamentally different from your front-engined jaguar...

...you can get yourself into trouble very quickly without an intuitive understanding of the cornering dynamics of mid-engined throttle modulation, and with twenty-four years training your reflexes differently, it may well take a year or more to completely cure yourself of old habits...read up a bit on snap oversteer, practice modulating it with cold or old tires under safe conditions, and you'll be very glad that you did...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After the rain dries out, I think I'll find an empty, lamppost free parking lot and throw the car around before popping on the new tires - good advice M.

What I can't get over is how excited my wife is about this thing. She indulges most of my whims, but wiht the financial hammering we've taken lately, I thought I'd finally pushed her over the edge. She couldn't wait to get home and see it. Our little loose tail scare last night hasn't dampened her enthusiasm a bit.

Stay tuned for pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts