The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
By "foil" you mean vinyl, based on the install pictures.
I've seen printed graphics put on cars- including an exige- because it allows much more detailed work, much cheaper than a quality paint job.
Expect to spend more than a maaco level paint job, but significantly less than the quality you'd require for your lotus.
Remember that it also can be torn, and is unlikely to have the depth of color that a good paint job has.

[edit]
Found the car..
Lotus Flies the Flag With Union Jack Exige S

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Just saw this. Pics look good. What colors would you guys consider and anyone know how much it costs?

Foil Tape Paint Job - Autoblog
Usually about $3K-$5K for a printed wrap, on a easy to wrap vehicle like a cargo van/pickup. I'm sure with the amount of labor on the Exige it was more. I think it took 4 people (no doubt professionals) all working something like 12 hours each.

Purchased by the yard in 60" widths solid colors (and there aren't many available) are just under $3 per sq foot. Purchased in 50 yard rolls they are about $1 per sq foot. Then the film should be overlaminated in a matte or gloss finish- roughly another $1 per sq foot. The machine to laminate it runs $15-$25K depending on what you get. Large format printers and software will run another $50-$75K. So for roughly $100K you can be up and going.

Funny enough even most custom paint jobs are now done with vinyl. My cousin is a painter and I've done it for him several times. Intricate design, lettering, etc is done with vinyl (paint mask) cut on the plotter, layed on the car as a stencil, sprayed with paint and then the vinyl removed. Saves him hours and hours of laying out by hand, and comes out better too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
FWIW, I have a friend with a shop up north (north of San Francisco) who could do that for much much less. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me and I will try and provide more details.

My friend does all of the graphics for one of the local race groups in Petaluma and has done many full body wraps as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
:shrug:
I didn't think it was that much, I know some people have gotten enough for their mazda3 roof in the $150-200 range, though that may not have been installed- also was a simple rectangle.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Wrap the entire car the same color that you already have, subtract the cost of clear bra replacements and repaints over the lifetime of the vehicle from the cost of re-filming every few years. And, you can wrap your car a crazy color for a gumball.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
3-5K for wrap is quite expensive, i know its time consuming and all, but i can get great show winning paint jobs for around the same price LOL

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I had them paint a Miata three years ago, I think it was about $300.

Total **** job though. Their paint was peeling in less than a year.

Uhhh...lol. Is that the quality of their work, or did you just pay for a cheap paint job?

What's the cost of a quality paint job? :eek:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
kaz posted a price in his paint thread. knucklehead may know too

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maaco is a couple hundred up to 2k or so if I remember correctly. Most people won't go to maaco if they're going to spend over 800 or so.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if I remember correctly maaco doesnt do any prepwork besides taping... so they just spray over whats there... if you primer your car before taking it to them you might get better results

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
You didn't read my post :p Searched and found it..
The costs for something similar all have to do with how much prep work is involved with your particular car before they paint - patching, sanding, etc. Something like mine with custom colors and painted stripes with 3 stage paints and clear coat should run in the general range of about $7k or more. Just give'm a call they can quote you a real price after inspecting your car.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Guy down the street had his car wrapped to promote his business. It faded in the sun in less than a year.
Maybe one of the cheap jobs mentioned above. That old- you get what you pay for thing? Go figure- it's usually fairly true. There are different types of inks, printers, substrates, and overlaminates. Some cheaper jobs are going to last 6 months, and some will last 5+ years- but you are going to pay more. And there is a big difference between putting something on a flat roof, and wrapping an entire curvy car without seams, wrinkles, and bubbles all over it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts