·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and what the dealer will do?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I doubt much will be done -- probably download the computer info, change the oil(?) and attend to any small items the customer might point out.

The first service is going to be expensive when the amount of labor is considered, but nothing crazy. Labor/parts costs should be in line with other exotic brands.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I haven't been able to determine: is the first service required to maintain the warranty? I have never brought any car to a dealership for service, I'd prefer to avoid starting with a Lotus.

Paul

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
From what I've heard, the first service is required for the warranty to be honored, because the dealer will send the engine diagnostics to Lotus, so that they can know that you have or haven't followed the breakin procedure.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
mikester said:
From what I've heard, the first service is required for the warranty to be honored, because the dealer will send the engine diagnostics to Lotus, so that they can know that you have or haven't followed the breakin procedure.
Well if thats the case then one should not be charged for then the labor and materials for the oil change. It sounds like most of the additional service is for there own purposes.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm fairly certain that, in California at least, you can have your car serviced anywhere and the manufacturer must honor your warranty. However, I believe the manufacturer can specify what service must be performed at certain intervals, and if you do not perform that, your warranty may be invalidated. If Lotus states that at the 1k service, a data dump of the ECU must be performed, then one would need to either take it to a dealer, or find someone that can perform a comparable service - and provide documentation to prove it was done.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Don't know, think I'd rather go to a dealer I trust who has all the approved tools, diagnostic equipment, etc. to do the job right. The car doesn't have to be serviced that frequently that cost differential between non-lotus and lotus would be relatively insignificant. Aside from oil changes which I'll do between the regular service intervals myself. So say your car goes to the dealer MAYBE twice a year, you'd rather go somewhere else to save maybe $50-75, don't see it myself.

Obviously not having the data dump at the service would certainly affect any future claims that might be made for problems with the car.

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
These are the recommended intervals from the manual, not really a whole lot the Lotus dealer needs to do.
Chris

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
After sales service 1000-1500 miles or 12 months.

Oil and filter at 4,000 mile interval or as required.

Inspect air cleaner at 7,500 miles or as required.

Inspect brake pads/discs @4,000 mile intervals.

Check transmission fluid at 22,500 miles.

New spark plugs/air cleaner at 30,000 miles.

Change transmission fluid at 45,000 miles.

New coolant at 4 year intervals.

New alarm battery at 1 year intervals (this is the actual alarm battery the powes the alarm should power be cut to the car)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
539 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Don't know, think I'd rather go to a dealer I trust who has all the approved tools, diagnostic equipment, etc. to do the job right. The car doesn't have to be serviced that frequently that cost differential between non-lotus and lotus would be relatively insignificant. Aside from oil changes which I'll do between the regular service intervals myself. So say your car goes to the dealer MAYBE twice a year, you'd rather go somewhere else to save maybe $50-75, don't see it myself.
No, I wouldn't go anywhere, I'd do my own work. I'm sure my local dealer (which isn't very local at all) will be charging premium rates. Even if it's just $200-300, it's annoying to be told to have service performed on my dime. Won't stop me from buying the car, however. :)

Paul

·
Registered
58 Posts
Perhaps i am accustomed to other manufacturers, but i thought a 1st service, if a warranty requirement, would be free. Covered by warranty...

Wrong?

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is illegal for a car manufacturer to require service at their dealerships as a requisite to honor a warranty. It's a federal law that service can be performed at any service shop and so long as the service intervals are followed, the mfgr. has to honor the warranty.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
smura,
how on earth can a non Lotus dealer service a car properly without the software etc to download the info on the engine performance etc. No way a non Lotus dealer will have the proprietary software to do that part of the service.

Guess I'm just odd, but why on earth would you want only part of a service done. Without the proper software diagnostic equipment how would the mechanice be able upload any changes to the ECU, etc.

As you can see by the listed services above. The only real set in stone service is the first after sales service, you'll note they no longer have the A, B, C etc services they used to have with the Esprit.

Chris

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is just my$.02 but sometimes it actually cheaper to go a dealer.

Once I had a bike (MV Agusta) who's dealer was 90 miles away. Rather than go to the authorized dealer, I just when to the closest Ducati dealer since the bikes were kind of similar. Service usually cost me more because they had to "play around" with the computer settings (CO2, fuel, etc.) because they didn't have the factory specs. After this bike was totaled and I got a new one, I decide it was worth the 90 mile trip to get the service done by someone who has the shop manual. The bike runs better and I pay for the service -not experimentation.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
zvezdah1,
part of the problem for me is the fact that i may be charged by Lotus for them to do this initial data download. Why should I have to pay for something that is simply to what I consider a watchdog service. It is to their benefit only to do this initial download simply to see what we did the 1st 1000 miles. All fine and dandy by why should i have to pay for it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Admittedly I don't have my car yet, but in the UK, labor on your first service is free. You only pay for the oil and filter.

Chris, maybe you could confirm weather this is the case in the US.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Nathan968 said:
Admittedly I don't have my car yet, but in the UK, labor on your first service is free. You only pay for the oil and filter.

Chris, maybe you could confirm weather this is the case in the US.
This sounds totally reasonable and fair.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I've been on the assumption that we'd only have to pay for the oil change, not the download. I will likely take mine to the dealer because I don't wnat to chance it at Grease Monkey and I'm too lazy to do it myself.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
When I last took a Lotus to a independent repair shop, it was my Elite for new gaskets on my transmission. One day while passing the shop, I noticed that the car was inside on the lift. When I arrived at work I called the station and asked the mechanic how things were going. He said that everything was going great and that he was about to cut away the "shield" in front of the transmission to get access to the area that needed the new gasket. I paused for a second, trying to figure out what he was referring to. It suddenly dawned on me he was talking about. He was about to cut away the chassis! Needless to say I told him to stop and quickly had him reassemble the car and I left the shop never to return. The point is the Elise is a special car. It's not built like a Focus or a Beetle or a 996. It really needs to be maintained by somebody who knows what they are doing.

I have nightmares of the first poor joe who getting into a fender bender (cracker?) and has progressive send him to a body shop that doesn't know the car. I can just see the puddle of plastic in the paint oven when they place the car in there and the clams melt.

·
Registered
677 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
smura,
how on earth can a non Lotus dealer service a car properly without the software etc to download the info on the engine performance etc. No way a non Lotus dealer will have the proprietary software to do that part of the service.

Guess I'm just odd, but why on earth would you want only part of a service done. Without the proper software diagnostic equipment how would the mechanice be able upload any changes to the ECU, etc.

As you can see by the listed services above. The only real set in stone service is the first after sales service, you'll note they no longer have the A, B, C etc services they used to have with the Esprit.

Chris
The software is not proprietary to Lotus; Lotus uses an EFI Technologies ECU in the Elise.

http://www.efitechnology.it/

[Edited to correct URL]

While the "program" may be custom, the firmware is not. Anyone with EFI technologies software should be able to at least read the data logger in the ECU. I am not advocating this by any means, while under waranty.

Anyway, I better not be charged for a service technician to read the data logger.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would also add that it is probably illegal to deny warranty coverage for not giving lotus your "computer" information after the first 1,000 miles.

Insurance companies are trying to do this (gps is installed in the car so that you can download it to determine how fast your kids sped in your car, where they went, etc.) in order to deny coverage (Yes, Mr. Smith, we saw that your accident was caused by you traveling 20mph over the speed limit, so coverage is denied)

There's a big fight over this, and so far the consumer has been able to win to keep big brother out.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts