The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got my lotus from my dads house it wasnt in my name yet. I spent the interim time doing stuff I wanted, including a better stereo, so the entire interior was removed. When I got the title and started driving it I hadnt put everything back in including the entire center consul. I thought my size 12 flat feet fit poorly in the car when I drove it when my dad would bring it around before, but it didnt seem that bad now. Duh the front aluminum U wedge was out. I just put it back in and nearly lost it once trying to get my foot back off the gas, okay, slight exaggeration. I really like my dc shoes, but might try someting else. I have no issue getting a driving shoe if I start track days again, but I still use the car as a dd and want a normal shoe for that. Ill check the hole position of the brake pedal pad tomorrow, but I liked the way the pedals felt with the al front peice of the center con out. My question is has anyone tried to cut or fab a flat front center con piece? Or maybe an L? Im probably going to get a chunk of al and try to make a smooth U bend and see what happens. Not sure Im going to worry about covering the front of the area where the wires go up to the dash, aka make an L. Im just thinking this might be a much better route than small shoes or pedal pad movement. Suggestions, fears?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I've never had an issue, and can't recall anyone on the forum bringing it up. Are you sure you have the center piece back in correctly? There isn't a lot of room for wide shoes. I prefer a narrow shoe for driving the Exige. I use Puma Speed Cats.

San

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm a size 9.5-10 and love Keens. Keens aren't the shoe for this car...too wide. That doesn't mean that I wear driving shoes...in fact I rarely do...but I do spend a fair amount of time remembering to get my feet out of the way other pedals. I don't even want to know how many times people behind me have wondered why I'm on the brakes...

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I drive in my Asolo hikers every day.

And yes, people who are podiatrically blessed have mentioned removing the separator for additional space.

Take it out, its your car. Put it in a box for the next owner.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Odd I have wide feet (11.5 2E) and luckily haven't had any issues. I usually drive wearing my running Altra's which are foot shaped so they are wide.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks exigeus, I looked at old posts and found a lot on shoes, and the brake pedal pad adjustment holes, but not on removing the front separator. I still want to try to make a shorter one, I would only cut up one if it had damage, mine just has the finish rubbed off a bit.
Onboost91: I wear dc's, so a "skater" shoe, pretty wide. Ive been wearing them as I find them comfortable for years and dont want to change. Also, when Im working (mechanic) I wear a big work shoe. I could learn to change shoes constantly and keep a pir in the trunk, but if removing the front center con fixes it, why make it more difficult?
I do find it funny that I hit this by chance because the separator was out for other reasons. I hope I would have been smart enough to realize its removal might solve all my issues, like I said, I thought I was going to have wide feet issues from when i drove the car when my dad still owned it, then didnt because the entire center con was out. Oh well, I find it funny when ideas come from "DUH" moments.
Oh, and as for if its in all the way, yes. If you dont get it in the tabs the plastic clips wont go in well, or centered. I got my head down there to get the front upper tabs in too, so those are good. Those should be the only ones that get missed anyhow, the bottom is easy to line up. I do almost wonder if you could missalign the top to the pass side and gain a bit, probably too little to be worth it.
As for keeping the part for the next owner, %^&* that, Im dying in this car. As it was my dads car, I really doubt Ill get rid of it ever, but my nephews might get it when I die.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looked at your link exigeus, thanks even more, Ill look for the lotus part from that! That was my exact idea for how to remake the front piece. I never thought the RHD part would be different, so I just was going to start bending metal. The explanation of the dead pedal has to go above it makes sense though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Note that I've NEVER had a problem with my foot and the center divider; my problems were hitting the brake pedal intentionally and the accelerator by accident.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts