The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I'm leaving for Micronesia and the Marianas this weekend to do some field work. One aspect of this field trip is to show the general public, especially school kids, exactly how and why we sample volcanoes.

So like a Nature channel special, we are hosting a webpage dedicated to our fieldtrip, with daily updates including video and pictures, as well as commentary and Q&A.

So if you are interested in how the earth works, or have children, or maybe you are just tired of reading the same old elise rumors, check out the website.

http://scripps.ucsd.edu/marianas/

P.S. Thanks for all your well wishes about my back (Jenn, Mike, Chris, etc). My doctors say I'll be alright to hike next week, but to take it real slow. They told me swimming is very helpful, so now I have an excuse for all the time I will be snorkeling in the tropics.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I left some stone money behind in Yap. Think you could look for it for me?

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey MW,

I sent you a PM with a question about Scripps but it said your inbox is full...please let me know when/if I can resend the question.

Thanks,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi MW,

You may be able to help me determine the second most important date in my life at the moment.

#1. When will my Elise arrive?

#2. When will Mauna Loa erupt?

I live on the Big Island, on Mauna Loa. For 9 years the prediction was "Sometime in the next 5 years". For the last year and a half it's "inflating slowly".
I hope the Elise gets here first so I can escape.:) Good luck on the trip!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
worth visiting the website if for no other reason the nice picture of Lillie :D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
ivan1 said:
worth visiting the website if for no other reason the nice picture of Lillie :D
In addition to that, she even managed to hide the word "wedge" in her profile! "... to constrain magma source characteristics and to estimate the volatile flux from the subducting slab and mantle wedge."

Very nice website!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Paul said:

#2. When will Mauna Loa erupt?

Well, my specialty is not in Hawaiian volcanoes, but I would think (purely speculation) that as long as Puu Oo continues to vent as steadily as it does, Pele should remain satisfied. Remember, Puu Oo has been erupting continuously for near 20 years now (since ~83), pretty much starting at the last Mauna Loa eruption (1984). Seems an interesting coincidence.

Besides, Mauna Loa erupting wouldnt be terribly destructive. The possibility of submarine landslides and resultant tsunami formation would be much more devestating to both Hawaii and the Pacific coasts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks MW,

Your right about the "Mass Wasting" landslides being a huge, mostly unrecognized, danger to the Pacific Basin. The subariel part is what worries me. I live on South Point, the #2 candidate to fail after #1 the south face of Kilauea.
If something lets go here I'll start a new thread "Head for the Hills". Hope we all have our "Elise survival tool".
(Very low probability on this one guys. So don't lose any sleep over it. The asteroid may get you first!):)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
South point, eh...a girl friend and I went swimming there, naked, a few years back :D

Super jealous of where you live! But you're right, you do live on the downward side of a giant fissure...hope you dont either slide into the ocean, or have the ocean slide over you ;) But it is a real concern. However, it is much like the concern of "The Big One" occuring here in SoCal. It will happen, its just a matter of when. And it may not be that devastating...depending on how it breaks, and it may not even happen in our lifetimes.

Anyway, opposite of my last visit to the Big Island, I will be fighting for tanning space at Waikiki beach tomorrow, sipping Mai Tais. Yes, I do love my job! :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi MW,
You should have a pretty day for sunbathing. Something tells me you will log into E.T. anyway:) We are at 1,200 ft. on South Point so could be beach front property if Kilauea goes. Then again the last time the South face failed (can't find the date on that, -10s of KA) the ocean poured into the magma chamber and the steam explosion stripped off all the soil for 20 miles around!
I also love my job. Work up Mauna Kea. If you or any of the science heads are here and are interested in a tour, I am in the book, (no childeren younger then 16 on the summit).
I have many fond memories of Waikiki. Hope you develop some of your own. :cool:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First time on ET since I left. Wow, I cant believe how many new threads there are. Overload!!! I dont have the time to read it all.

Anyway, I'm off on the great volcano adventure tomorrow. Although I already have a nice tan from my trek through micronesia :D

>Paul
Mauna Kea must be a cool place to work, quite literally. I'd love a tour.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
First time on ET since I left. Wow, I cant believe how many new threads there are. Overload!!! I dont have the time to read it all.

Anyway, I'm off on the great volcano adventure tomorrow. Although I already have a nice tan from my trek through micronesia :D

>Paul
Mauna Kea must be a cool place to work, quite literally. I'd love a tour.
You sure you want an Elise....Sounds like a Land Rover would be more in line with your explorer lifestyle :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
More then a week!! Definitely not an addict. Very impressive MW. More to life then an Elise.:)
Such as volcanoes... Mine has been cold and wet, some snow, black ice on roads. Hope yours are kinder gentler, at least while your on them.
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/summittour.html is another possibility for touring the summit for those interested. They also have stargazing every evening (weather permitting). Quite amazing! As much fun as an Elise.
Aloha, Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts