The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I must know all the reasons the SLC sucked on the street. I must fantasize myself in the car experiencing those issues so I can decide for myself.
The ride was brutal. The suspension is all heim joints and the full suspension travel was about 1/2”. Had to wear earplugs while driving because it was so loud, and the visibility was terrible. Lastly, 2500 lb car with 500hp and no traction control meant you couldn’t breathe on the throttle without breaking the tires loose. Getting caught in the rain was terrifying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I would like to share with future ‘non-track’ Elise buyers my short 18-month experience with my pristine 2007 low-mileage, accident free, mechanical issues-free NA Elise. Unfortunately it has been a huge disappointment. The wrong car for me. And maybe the wrong car for you future buyer. Most of my adult life I’ve driven manual cars as my daily driver (such as Audi, Subaru STI, etc.). In 2005 I fell in love with the Elise S2 shape and lines. Three and a half years ago I decided it’s time to get one as my summer weekend car. As I consider myself still adventurous and already in my early 50’s I said why not? It took me almost two years to find the right Elise for me (John Scotti in Montreal). Don’t get me wrong- the car is great. The problem is ME. Although I find it easy to get in and out of the car, and I’m okay with the seat and the great driving position I just couldn’t really enjoy driving the car. And I know why. Because I don’t track it. In the city and on Ontario roads the car can’t come alive. Too many potholes, too many drivers who can’t see you as the car sits so low. And you can’t trust honking. The honk is a very ‘shy’ one. The police radars don’t help either, so you can’t really drive fast. Almost everyone would agree that the Elise can’t serve us as a daily driver. We all have to admit this. This brings me to the parking dilemma. Parking in the city. Hmmm.... in parallel- risky as someone might back into your fibreglass car and smash the clam as the car sits so low. And when parking in a ‘facing-out’ position you might find it very challenging to get out of the car as you have to open the door ALL the way wide open in order to be able to slide out easily, almost undoable in regular parking spots if someone parks next to you. Well, we all have to enjoy the car. So what about music? The original radio and speakers that I have are basic. No Bluetooth (2007...). Even no descent spot to mount your phone on the dash or anywhere else (I do NOT like mounting my phone on the windshield).
Speaking of ‘cockpit’ features I have to mention that I don’t drive my Elise in the winter. That leaves me mainly the summer months to enjoy the car when
the AC is on. I find the AC to be a little ‘lazy’ and noisy. And if my wife or a friend joins the ride then the AC is really not delivering. And speaking of noise- my Elise has the original exhaust which I find not palatable. The Elise is just a non-pleasantly loud/noisy car in a non-pleasant way (with the hard top on). My daily driver is a baby AMG (CLA 45) which has MUCH more enjoyable sounds, gurgles, grunts, and pops. So bottom line- IMO, an Elise is not the right car for a spoiled enthusiast like me who doesn’t track his/her Elise. In few hours I’m heading to a local dealership hopping to trade-in my pristine Elise for a different preowned (more expensive) British car with a lovely V8 exhaust sound, better seats and much more practicality. You can probably guess. I’ve learned a lot from the Forum and would like to thank the members who replied to my posts/questions with priceless advice. Cheers.
Do you have pictures of your car

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,085 Posts
if you enjoy cars like "AMG (CLA 45) which has MUCH more enjoyable sounds, gurgles, grunts, and pops" - you have totally picked the wrong car such as an elise. sorry you made the wrong purchase.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone doesn't like a car that the majority here does, it doesn't mean they picked the wrong car, or made the wrong purchase. This thread has been very friendly, and we'd all like it to stay that way. I'm not implying your post wasn't friendly, but it could be taken that way.

Just to clarify a post I made earlier in this thread, @PeteB37, I was totally joking when I said "You sold that? I'm afraid we can't ever be friends" with regards to you selling your Superlite SL-C. I agree with @DAaaMan64 in that I'd want to experience the Superlite SL-C myself, but you get plenty of cool points for trying to make it work on the street. Please accept my apology if I actually offended you. I have a very dry sense of humor.

San

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mine has been my Daily Driver in Seattle for much of the just over 15 years I've owned it.
  • Being seen - I picked Saffron Yellow. If any bit of my car is in your mirror you will notice
  • Horn - replaced with a much louder Hella
  • Headlights - replaced with Sector111 HID kit
  • Exhaust - If I go on long contstant velocity highway-speed trips I put in lightweight earplugs, never have a problem around town. Gotta admit though I'd be fine with replacing with a nearly equal power exhaust designed for quiet if I knew of one. It never bothers me around town or when out doing sprited country driving though.
  • Parallel parking - When I do I park at a slight angle so that my front driver's side stays visble in their driver's side mirror, generally try to be the first or lat space in a line if I can
  • Tires - Continental Extreme Contact DWS year round
  • Speed - I drove a much "faster" car than this previously. But never anything as quick or nimble. For real-world driving I find quick and nimble to be far more fun. On the rare track day I've been on I miss the high HP a bit
  • Parking at home - I have no garage, I live in town and it just sits in my driveway
  • Parking in spaces - I can put it in a WAY narrower space than any of our other cars and slide out just fine without the door being anywhere near full open. Always put the seat back fully before exiting to make this easier. During soft-top weather (IE Late Feb - Early Nov for me) I can get in and out without even opening the door if I'm really pressed for space (where I work has AMAZINGLY narrow spaces combines with bad drivers that can't park worth a darn)
  • No bluetooth - I replaced the trash OEM stereo and speakers with modern ones
  • Phone mount - I have an arm that mounts on the lower left edge of the windshield which places the phone down near the left vent at a perfect location for a GPS guide without blocking any useful part of the windshield
  • A/C - Somewhere in these forums is a suggested set of upgrades invoving a diverter valve to bypass the heater core, opening up some covered holes to improve recirculation, and covering a poorly placed intake. I did all those, made a HUGE difference

·
Registered
276 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone doesn't like a car that the majority here does, it doesn't mean they picked the wrong car, or made the wrong purchase. This thread has been very friendly, and we'd all like it to stay that way. I'm not implying your post wasn't friendly, but it could be taken that way.

Just to clarify a post I made earlier in this thread, @PeteB37, I was totally joking when I said "You sold that? I'm afraid we can't ever be friends" with regards to you selling your Superlite SL-C. I agree with @DAaaMan64 in that I'd want to experience the Superlite SL-C myself, but you get plenty of cool points for trying to make it work on the street. Please accept my apology if I actually offended you. I have a very dry sense of humor.

San
No offense taken, I understood it as a joke, but I appreciate the apology

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you go into ownership understanding that these cars are only slightly more practical than a sportbike then you won't be disappointed. The problem with these and all sports cars is that owning the lightest, fastest, best cornering, etc. doesn't magically change the speed limits, traffic, or road conditions: In order to drive at or even near the limit, you need to be on a closed course. However, the beauty of the Elise/Exige is that due to its lightness and overall design, you can enjoy its sublime dynamics at low speeds. So open road, canyon driving at sane speeds is a very nice experience. But if you're in town, on the freeway or on poor roads, (basically 90% of real world driving) it's the wrong tool for the job. I commend you guys that daily drive one. I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's because you are in Toronto. Terrible roads and a City.
Well, I would like to share with future ‘non-track’ Elise buyers my short 18-month experience with my pristine 2007 low-mileage, accident free, mechanical issues-free NA Elise. Unfortunately it has been a huge disappointment. The wrong car for me. And maybe the wrong car for you future buyer. Most of my adult life I’ve driven manual cars as my daily driver (such as Audi, Subaru STI, etc.). In 2005 I fell in love with the Elise S2 shape and lines. Three and a half years ago I decided it’s time to get one as my summer weekend car. As I consider myself still adventurous and already in my early 50’s I said why not? It took me almost two years to find the right Elise for me (John Scotti in Montreal). Don’t get me wrong- the car is great. The problem is ME. Although I find it easy to get in and out of the car, and I’m okay with the seat and the great driving position I just couldn’t really enjoy driving the car. And I know why. Because I don’t track it. In the city and on Ontario roads the car can’t come alive. Too many potholes, too many drivers who can’t see you as the car sits so low. And you can’t trust honking. The honk is a very ‘shy’ one. The police radars don’t help either, so you can’t really drive fast. Almost everyone would agree that the Elise can’t serve us as a daily driver. We all have to admit this. This brings me to the parking dilemma. Parking in the city. Hmmm.... in parallel- risky as someone might back into your fibreglass car and smash the clam as the car sits so low. And when parking in a ‘facing-out’ position you might find it very challenging to get out of the car as you have to open the door ALL the way wide open in order to be able to slide out easily, almost undoable in regular parking spots if someone parks next to you. Well, we all have to enjoy the car. So what about music? The original radio and speakers that I have are basic. No Bluetooth (2007...). Even no descent spot to mount your phone on the dash or anywhere else (I do NOT like mounting my phone on the windshield).
Speaking of ‘cockpit’ features I have to mention that I don’t drive my Elise in the winter. That leaves me mainly the summer months to enjoy the car when
the AC is on. I find the AC to be a little ‘lazy’ and noisy. And if my wife or a friend joins the ride then the AC is really not delivering. And speaking of noise- my Elise has the original exhaust which I find not palatable. The Elise is just a non-pleasantly loud/noisy car in a non-pleasant way (with the hard top on). My daily driver is a baby AMG (CLA 45) which has MUCH more enjoyable sounds, gurgles, grunts, and pops. So bottom line- IMO, an Elise is not the right car for a spoiled enthusiast like me who doesn’t track his/her Elise. In few hours I’m heading to a local dealership hopping to trade-in my pristine Elise for a different preowned (more expensive) British car with a lovely V8 exhaust sound, better seats and much more practicality. You can probably guess. I’ve learned a lot from the Forum and would like to thank the members who replied to my posts/questions with priceless advice. Cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
As you guys probably know, I am lotus-less for 1 week. Between snow days I’ve driven my ‘new’ 2015 Vantage in the city (no winter tires...) and can definitely say that personally I am enjoying it much more than I’ve enjoyed my Elise. Not only the smooth engine, the quality of ride and the pleasant exhaust sound (no need for earplugs and no need to be loud/Sport mode when daily driven), but also the comfy seats, the fact that other drivers can see the car, the Bluetooth phone, and the rear-view camera. My wife hated the Elise bumpy ride but is happy to join me in the comfy Vantage. Most of my adult life I’ve driven regular European manual cars. Now, at 55 I’m becoming spoiled... You will probably think of me as a traitor. That’s okay. My intention is to spread the word that the Elise is not for everyone. You probably have to track it once in a while. But please don’t stone me and don’t ban me from this forum for few more weeks 😀. Cheers everyone

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are simply just not the type who should own an Elise. I am 60 and have had my Elise for 6 years. It doesnt even have the luxury of AC - A lotus owner knows of rattles bumps low handling etc I love my S2 Elise and I will find it very hard to sell if I ever have to. Mine is 2001 so even more rattles less comfort and less creature comforts than your 07 was but I must admit my horn is quite loud and manly! I drive in Winter with the roof off, Here in Australia the summers are sooo hot its almost impossible to drive on a hot sunny day. In Winter I drive with a warm jacket and gloves. No I think you just have to love em but I must admit, people absolutely losing it when they see me coming helps with ownership!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts