The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need to make room for my new Elise (September??? Please???), so am reluctantly parting with this great car.

For my money, it is the best of the "old school' Carreras, with the legendary G50 five speed transmission and 3.2 Litre flat six. It has a Momo steering wheel, Porsche crested door handles, logo carpet, and custom shift knob inside. Panasconic CD player with removable face plate, amp, and upgraded speakers. Welmister strut brace. 17" OEM cup wheels from a 993 Porsche, with the proper - expensive! - aluminum spacers (or have the original red 15" Fuchs with painted center caps if you prefer those). Z-rated Khumo tires with less than 5k miles.

Within the last two years, I have replaced the clutch with a heavy duty Sachs, including the recommended update kit, the alternator, the battery, and every minor issue. Runs and drives perfectly!

It has a Carfax clean title guarantee. The Carfax does show a 19,000 mile "discrepancy" in mileage between two registrations before I had the car. It looks like a 50k mile car, which is what is on the odometer, so I am not sure if Carfax is correct or not.

Priced to sell before the new Lotus arrives! $19,900

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I, too, have a 1987 Carrera I will be selling. Mine has 53,000 miles, black with a crimson interior. The car has about $15,000 in track modifications with new tires and brakes. It is in excellent condition, its service it up to date, and it is beautifully balanced. I am asking $24,400. I will be happy to provide all the specs if someone is seriously interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
You too, unless you need the money badly... for the love of God keep it! These are classic cars IMO...

Neil

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sell 'em. They're great cars, but they're not "classic". You can always get another older 911 if you want. It's an older car with older car technology and older car problems. I'm sure you've had your fun and have grown a little bored with them.

Only keep them if you plan to use them regularly. If your weekend drive time is going to be spent in your new Elise, then these 911s are no longer serving any real purpose. Simplify and sell. How much joy is derived from simply knowing that you own something?

Besides, you'll be letting someone else enjoy a nice Porsche and that's good karma.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Dom Milano's article 'The Sweet Spot' in August 2004 EXCELLLENCE Magazine ...

"The best and most desirable of these cars are the 1987-89 911's with the better shifting G50 transmission. Only 15,883 of these final Carrera 3.2's were imported to the U.S., so fewer of these cars were imported than earlier 911 models. This smaller number of cars has resulted in some scarcity"....

Bruce Anderson in the same issue says that of all the 911's made between 1974-89, his pick would be a 1987-89 Carrera 3.2 with the improved transmission and clutch. He also estimates the selling price for this car in 'excellent condition' as $23,400 for 2004.

So ... UM ... if you don't want Randy's car, let me know.

Steve

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neil, if I had the garage space, I'd keep it, no doubt in my mind. Because I knew it was going this year, I've been driving it every day since the spring, and its a joy every time I get in it!

I was afraid I was going to get out of the Elise from my Saturday test drive and the 911 would feel heavy and remote. But even after that amazing drive in an amazing car, the ol' Porsche was still fun!

Steve

(on the wait list for a bigger garage!)

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Steve said:
Neil, if I had the garage space, I'd keep it, no doubt in my mind. Because I knew it was going this year, I've been driving it every day since the spring, and its a joy every time I get in it!

I was afraid I was going to get out of the Elise from my Saturday test drive and the 911 would feel heavy and remote. But even after that amazing drive in an amazing car, the ol' Porsche was still fun!

Steve

(on the wait list for a bigger garage!)
Steve,
I understand and respect your reasons. I love your car, I think it is one of the most desirable P cars ever made. Good luck with your sale, I hope you find a good home for your baby.

Neil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts