The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Complete BOE clam hinge kit. I installed this on my car for 2 month and then removed before I sold the car. It was the best modification I did! Wish I did it right after I bought the car.

This kit is in great condition. All parts and screws needed to install should here. What is pictured is what will be included: Clam hinge, clam brace, battery mount, and rear panel delete. I am also including a quick removal rear panel mesh cover I made. It is not perfect, but works and looks good installed.

Last picture is to show the rear panel mesh installed. This kit is not meant to work with a rear panel exit exhaust. Clam will hit exhaust tip when it is rotated. If this type of exhaust is used, it will have to be removed before clam is tilted.

$800 shipped in US

Attachments

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Hey Trevor,

How much for just the rear panel quick release mesh? I would be seriously interested in just that.
Shipped to 98926
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hinge Clam

PM Sent...

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Glad you got a rear hnge.
Can I ask what the battery mount does? Does it relocate the battery somewhere under the rear clam, and if so, where?

Thanks

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
It moves the battery to a location under the filler neck. That's a better location for weight balance and makes clam tilting and removal a breeze...

The new clam hinges come with a revised diffuser brace. You can see on the products page on my website un the body section.

I get a fair bit of flack for the price of the clamhinge. There's a ton of nice parts with it.

-All CAD designed
-Battery relocation mount from CNC'd cut and bent alumnium and then ano'd
-Proper clam support that is again CNC'd cut and bent and Ano'd (proper meaning that it support the clam all the way to the gutters-- the correct way so that your clam won't break!
-CNC'd hinges that are p-coat and Ano'd. The hinges are assembled by hand, tested, etc. We were the first to do the 4 bar hinge for the clam when the previous hinge kits wouldn't work with the wheels on the car.
-CNC and powder coated rear diffuser brace that doubles as a rear panel delete. The diffuser brace is even fit with "nut-serts" at each fastener point for easier service. (again pics on my website)
- Instructions of course
-Nice CAD hardware, etc...

I mean there's a LOT to the kit. Some have made derivatives or copies of it. "Noxx" (AeroLotus or whatever the 2nd screen name he has) flat out ripped it off and was selling it as my own to forum members. Of course it didn't fit well and the reproduction was poor...

The copies or derivatives of the kit for less money are either designed incorrectly, lack several of the key features above, and/or lack the fit and finish (CNC, coatings, etc)... Either way, I cannot apologize for the price tag, as there's clearly a lot of value and parts in this kit. It's my fault for not creating better descriptions of the kit on the website so that folks can "see" the value. I'll take the blame for slack I get on price:eek:

Cheers,

Phil

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
When I bought the kit and it came in the mail, I literally wanted it know what was missing. After putting the kit on and seeing the design that went into it, it really makes more sense to think about it as the money going to pay for the thought behind it, not the bare materials. It's the best thing I've done to the Elise, bar none. It just makes everything easier.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
That is great. I asked because I have a clam-hinge on my car but the battery is still in the boot.
Can you hook me up with just the battery mount and a diagram?
I assume that the already-extended battery cables are long enough to reach.
Darn those things are longggg!

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I'm not a fan of the open arse look (functionally I get it (both for the hinge and for heat)) but I will say that looks leagues better than the old design.
Thanks... I think :D

:up:

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
That is great. I asked because I have a clam-hinge on my car but the battery is still in the boot.
Can you hook me up with just the battery mount and a diagram?
I assume that the already-extended battery cables are long enough to reach.
Darn those things are longggg!
Kewl. Yes, can hook you up. I need to add to website. Drop me a line. [email protected]

You can take the cable extension off for the filler location, as the stock length *just* works... Reference the instructions on my website for a bit more clarity there:up:

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Thanks... I think :D

:up:
That is much better looking, I've always felt that 90% of the "is that a kit car" comments were do to the (sorry) butt ugly old design but HOLY JESUS? $200 to essentially not cut a bunch of holes? By that logic Glen's diffusers should be about $1,200.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Glad you like...

I guess it boils down to what your time is worth and what equipment do you have at your disposal.

1) CAD-- "amortizing" some of the time we spend doing that across each part.
2) Have the part made. CNC water jet. CNC brake the part.
3) Deburr the edges (by hand), sand the press brake lines off the aluminum by hand. (thicker aluminum like this ends up with a line that the p-coat won't cover)
4) P-Coat
5) Chase the holes for nut-serts
6) Install 8 pressed steel nut-serts
7) Clean the part one last time
8) transaction fees for purchasing convenience

You end up spending about an hour per part--- certainly not less, plus the CNC work, plus transportation, plus materials and p-coat, plus support of the part (yes, there is support for such a simple part... BELIEVE ME), plus the "gotta keep the lights on" part of it... If you can make the part "cheaper" or your time is free, have the tools, tallent, etc... have at it... At 200 for all 40 of these that might sell over the next 3 years, it's not putting the kid through college by any means:eek:

Best,

Phil

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I don't think you'll have much luck getting a bigger battery in the fillerneck area than what we supply a bracket for...

So answer is no, but for a decent reason :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts