The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Listed for sale on Ebay is an Elise S1 chassis: Item number 111414657353

I purchased it new several years ago for a project which never moved forward.
Since then, I've had it stored in my basement, collecting dust.

Perfect replacement chassis for an S1. If you have a damaged S2, the suspension points between the S1 & S2 are the same... would make a great track car. Great foundation for a lightweight EV, etc.

Kind regards,

Joe

Lotus Elise Series 1 Chassis | eBay

·
Registered
887 Posts
S1 chassis doesn't have the cut-down main chassis rails, which were introduced in the S2 for easier cabin entry.

S2 (Rover k series powered) has similar main chassis points (suspension, subframe, steering, front crash structure etc) but the door hinge posts are not in the same position.

S2 (Toyota 2zz / 1zz powered) has a completely different rear chassis legs, to fit a completely different subframe. Some of the suspension points are different i.e. lower front mounting for rear wishbones.

Beyond the chassis, hardware changes depending on S1 / S2 / S2 Toyota.. wishbones, mounts brackets, hub carriers, driveshafts etc.

I agree with the Joe, the chassis tub would make an ideal 'special' - EV or fuel powered. You could build-up a S1 Elise / Exige / 340R out of it I guess (has it got a chassis number / paperwork?) but unless you have all parts to hand it won't be viable Vs just buying a complete car.

Where did the chassis tub come from, as Lotus dealer showroom exhibit ?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i assume it has no VIN? (nor can it get one now...) but as advertised fine for off road, i don't;think you can federally put it on the road under any home built expeditions either (i looked into importing one from the UK to build a 340r - but it couldn't be done legally for the street under federal laws).

also - the @/11 has the high sills - but i am not sure 'which' rear sub frame mounts? i always assumed the 2/11 was the old s1 chassis because it looks like it - but i don't know for sure....

·
Registered
887 Posts
No, the 2 Eleven chassis is the S2 Toyota chassis, but without the side beam cut-outs.

Easy is entry is not an issue with out doors / roof, so the Lotus engineers keep the stronger side beam like the S1 had.

That's why it 'looks' like a S1 chassis from the cabin area, but if you see the rear chassis legs / subframe it's pure S2 Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
The S1 chassis varied slightly over the years too so would be worth knowing what date it was built (and preferably the approximate chassis number).

Where did the chassis tub come from, as Lotus dealer showroom exhibit ?
Lotus sells the chassis as a "chassis partial assembly" with the crash structure and windscreen frame bonded in place. Given this chassis is completely bare its very plausible as an exhibit - and would in itself be a reason to buy this chassis if you have room for such art :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts