The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
..............Update / NOW SOLD....................

I tried to find a "for sale" section in this forum but couldn't locate it. I hope this is OK posted her.

I have the solid roof panel off a 1995 Esprit S4 in perfect condition, even the dark green paint and beige headliner. If your car is dark green all you will need to do is a wax. The underside upholstery is perfect, no dirt marks etc. It has the expensive hardware for latching but NOT the clips at the front.
No cover.

Photos...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151194596051?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ron

·
Registered
327 Posts
For sale section is near the bottom. That said, Esprit specific items tend to sell better in the Esprit section as the forum itself is dominated by Elise/Exige...

Oh, and I was sooooooo hoping this would be the glass roof.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I am pretty sure the glass and solid panels for the S4 would also fit the V-8. The problem with the solid panels (and the wind deflector)is that they are painted body color and would probably have to be repainted. If you are also selling it with all of the hardware (the hinges and the tongues) you should make that clear because that hardware is hard to get and is expensive. Even better if it also includes the bag and the seal.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
There is also a difference in the weatherstrip below the panel. Somewhere along the line it changed. I know the later cars can interchange roof panels at will, but on the early ones tehre were different weatherstrips for the two panels. At what model year are the weatherstrips identical?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I believe it is not really weather strips that changed but the construction of the roof panel itself. The older OEM roof I sold for the SE was a rare plexi model made in the USA by the same company that made T tops and roof panels for GM similar to the ones made for later model G cars. The plexi roofs has an integrated section and seal that fits in the gutter that forms a seal in the gutter and on the roof itself. The glass roof does not have a seal and relies on just the body seal. From what I understand due to seal compression from the GRP roof most have to replace the seal prevent leaking when using the glass roof. Also the plexi roof top is smooth with no hardware penetrations on the exterior surface. The real glass tops I have seen are drilled with fasteners penetration on the exterior

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
The glass panels are thinner so you need a taller weatherseal for it. If you try to use the solid panel with the taller seal for the glass panel the solid panel won't fit so you really should have 2 seals. A short one for when you use the solid panel and the taller one for when you use the glass panel. Most just have the short seal and live with the noise because the shorter seal leaks when you have the glass top installed.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use the taller seal and use it with both solid and glass panels. Agreed the glass roof is noisy without the taller seal.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
Do you have a picture of the roof handle mating piece?

On my 88, the roof handle has the open 'C' arms but the latching mechanism on your top is flatter than my 'stepped' latch:

Does any know definitely that a 94 S4 top would fit an older 88?

·
Premium Member
592 Posts

Does any know definitely that a 94 S4 top would fit an older 88?
Hey Eddie,

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have a follow up; will the '94 top fit an '87?

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
No definite answer on 94 to 88. I was on separate private thread in 88 to 87-86 - there apparently BOTH TYPES on G cars. 88 has plastic 'clamp' while there is at least one 87 G car using similar plastic clamp vs the more common steel spike for AG cars.

FYI my glass top is from Guy's/Larry's silver V8 race car (97?)and fits my 88 perfectly.

Not at my desktop but I have pics of the difference. G cars have latches closer together than S cars.

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
Take a look at my album in URL in previous post it shows pictures of clamps - I'm like 99% sure 94 would fit 88, but not any G car ( with the one exception noted).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts