The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there security systems which are nearly theft-proof? What are they and how much do they cost?

I want to be able to drive my car into Manhattan, park it, go dancing and come back out to find the car waiting. Because of the scarcity, I worry a lot about mine disappearing. Any suggestions??? :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
If somebody wants your car, they will take your car. . . period. Any good thief can break any alarm system. There are some good ones on the market, but let's face it, do you feel safer from having to take your shoes off at the airport?

Just park wisely. My guess is that the elise can get you a front parking spot at many hotels. In NYC, park at indoor Kinney spots and kick at $20 tip up front. Have them park it close to the booth. That's the best I have for you. I really don't think the elise is a drive in to the city for dinner and dancing type of car. Take the beater.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Tech_KO said:
If somebody wants your car, they will take your car. . . period. Any good thief can break any alarm system.
Unless you choose the removable steering wheel option :D. I'm more worried about the shift knob walking off, it was a huge problem with the S2K's if I recal.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
My advice: cover it with a car cover. I think if someone can't readily see the car, they generally won't bother with it. It's a target-rich environment, why would they take the extra trouble. Just my theory, so far it's worked but who knows, in the end ?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Surferjer said:
Are there security systems which are nearly theft-proof? What are they and how much do they cost?
About the only one I've seen that fits that definition would be a trunk monkey. ;)

Seriously though, as others have said, covering your car is your best bet. Even if you get an awesome alarm system, the car could still be towed. So, better to avoid notice. Get a plain, subtle car cover - not one of the dual color ones, or something with "LOTUS" printed all over it!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'd say full coverage insurance, because if they really want your car, you will be car jacked. In the end, it's just a car and can be replaced

·
Registered
186 Posts
High profile cars aren't targeted very much. It wouldn't be hard for someone to say "oh yea, I saw a car like that going down 5th about 10 minutes ago" as opposed to "I saw about 30 Honda's a minute ago that look like that."

It's very rare that expensive high profile cars get stolen. The only time it does happen is if they're looking for a joy ride in which case they're just being a$$holes. Most car thieves are in it for the money and generally from the parts on the car and not the car itself. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Vandalism is a whole different story.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I would never drive any vehicle i have any affection for into any part of n.y.c..... (just look at the horrible condition of every car there.

but yeah, just like the the high profile audi rs6's that disappeared from people like dan gurney.. if they want it, they will take it - no matter what! as my buddy from n.y. says, the best way to keep anyone from taking your car is to sit on the hood with a shotgun.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
the car does come with an immobilizing alarm, that would certainly help>
Chris
I think it's just an immobilizer - no alarm, it will just block the car (starter, fuel pump, ignition) from working unless you press the key fob. But no alarm, or door triggers, etc...

Still, it will help a lot to keep it from being stolen/joy-rided.

Tim Mullen

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
MattG said:
Get a plain, subtle car cover - not one of the dual color ones, or something with "LOTUS" printed all over it!
I agree. Make it a generic/universal fit cover so the body shape is further hidden. Secure the cover with a cable & lock for additional security.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
TimMullen said:
I think it's just an immobilizer - no alarm, it will just block the car (starter, fuel pump, ignition) from working unless you press the key fob. But no alarm, or door triggers, etc...

Still, it will help a lot to keep it from being stolen/joy-rided.

Tim Mullen
No it's an alarm and immobilizer. It is also listed on the official site as this: Lotus USA

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm thanks a bunch for all the advice. I guess I like the $20 tip idea best, because I'm not going to leave the car in my garage due to fear. I'll pay to be in a Manhattan garage, and tip the dude. I did that last weekend for my Spyder in Manhattan, and the car was parked 10 feet from the booth when i got back($10 tip). I wasn't sweating that car, though.

I do not like the car cover idea, because I just don't want to be the geek covering his car everywhere he goes (so I'd rather be the geek that USED TO have an Elise?!) Anyone recommend an aftermarket alarm, or is the standard one okay? What about LoJack?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
LoJack depends on the area you live. Their coverage is kind of spotty and here in St. Louis it would be worthless because the area isn't covered.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
On Lojack: I've posted this before, but I would'nt want the car back after it's been stolen. Best case scenario you get your car back ragged and probably damaged. Your insurance or you will fix it, but now it's damaged goods. I say let the bastard(s) keep the car and I'll get a new one or something else. Just my opinion.

If somone would take my car, I'd hope for a total or never finding it.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Believe its an immobilizer AND an alarm.
Hopefully, you guys are correct. I was under the impression that in Europe, the car came standard with the immobilizer, and the alarm was optional (actually an add on to the immobilize). I was under the impression that were weren't being given the option and were just getting the immobilizer. It be nice if it was the alarm too - just so long as it's not one of those silly ones that make "eight different sounds"...

Tim Mullen

1 - 20 of 35 Posts