The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MIchael Moore is a bit of a putz, I liked his Roger and Me movie but the other films are so called documentaries and yet he seems to go about it with preconceived ideas and plans so you really don't have objective reporting, it's more entertainment than any newsworthiness.
Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
are so called documentaries <...> you really don't have objective reporting
That's my objection to him. The "documentaries" are presented as fact, when in reality they are not.

Unfortunately, many people accept them as fact.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
59 Posts
TimMullen said:
That's my objection to him. The "documentaries" are presented as fact, when in reality they are not.

Unfortunately, many people accept them as fact.

Tim Mullen
Most people accept what's on the major American network news shows as fact, when they're as biased as any other source. They just tend more towards bias by exclusion.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ya hachu said:
Most people accept what's on the major American network news shows as fact, when they're as biased as any other source. They just tend more towards bias by exclusion.
Unfortunately, you are correct. And often they are just outright biased...:( :mad:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
from Newsweek:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
The Truth About 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Fox News

Michael Moore's (search) "Fahrenheit 9/11" broke records this weekend, becoming the first documentary to debut as Hollywood's top weekend film — but there are holes in the controversial film's story.

For instance, in one often-showed clip, Moore claims that President Bush was on vacation 42 percent of the time during his first several months in office — but that estimation included weekends at Camp David, a common practice for presidents. Without those days figured in, Bush actually spent 13 percent of his time on vacation.

The movie also criticizes Bush for staying inside a Florida classroom full of kids for a full seven minutes after he learned that the country was under attack on Sept. 11, 2001.

However, the vice chairman of the Sept. 11 commission has said that Bush did the right thing. "Bush made the right decision in remaining calm, in not rushing out of the classroom," said Lee Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana.

In "Fahrenheit 9/11" (search) Moore also claims that the White House approved plans for planes to pick up relatives of Usama Bin Laden right after the attacks. But according to terrorism czar Richard Clarke (search), he alone approved the Saudi flights.

In addition, Moore says that the departing Saudis were not properly processed by the FBI when leaving the country. That too is contradicted by the Sept. 11 commission, which said the Saudis were properly interviewed.

Finally, Moore shows prominent members of the Taliban visiting Texas, implying that they were invited by then-Governor Bush. The Taliban delegation, however, was invited to Houston by UNOCAL (search), a California energy company.

Moore also doesn't mention that the visit was made with the permission of the Clinton administration, which twice met with Taliban members — in 1997 and 1998.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ivan1 said:
The Truth About 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Fox News

Michael Moore's (search) "Fahrenheit 9/11" broke records this weekend, becoming the first documentary to debut as Hollywood's top weekend film ? but there are holes in the controversial film's story.

For instance, in one often-showed clip, Moore claims that President Bush was on vacation 42 percent of the time during his first several months in office ? but that estimation included weekends at Camp David, a common practice for presidents. Without those days figured in, Bush actually spent 13 percent of his time on vacation.

The movie also criticizes Bush for staying inside a Florida classroom full of kids for a full seven minutes after he learned that the country was under attack on Sept. 11, 2001.

However, the vice chairman of the Sept. 11 commission has said that Bush did the right thing. "Bush made the right decision in remaining calm, in not rushing out of the classroom," said Lee Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana.

In "Fahrenheit 9/11" (search) Moore also claims that the White House approved plans for planes to pick up relatives of Usama Bin Laden right after the attacks. But according to terrorism czar Richard Clarke (search), he alone approved the Saudi flights.

In addition, Moore says that the departing Saudis were not properly processed by the FBI when leaving the country. That too is contradicted by the Sept. 11 commission, which said the Saudis were properly interviewed.

Finally, Moore shows prominent members of the Taliban visiting Texas, implying that they were invited by then-Governor Bush. The Taliban delegation, however, was invited to Houston by UNOCAL (search), a California energy company.

Moore also doesn't mention that the visit was made with the permission of the Clinton administration, which twice met with Taliban members ? in 1997 and 1998.

Ok even if I take your perspective on those events as facts, it still seems as if Bush or his father were either directly or indirectly responsible or complicit in all of the instanses provided above.

The film is in no way unbiased, thats a given. It does make it extremely clear to me that George Bush is more than willing to kill a few thousand people if it means money for him and his oil thugs.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
:confused:

which one? the meeting with the taliban? if so then ditto for Bill...

Richard Clarke's approval of the Saudi flights? on what are you basing Bushs complicity ???

·
Registered
159 Posts
ivan1 said:
:confused:

which one? the meeting with the taliban? if so then ditto for Bill...

Richard Clarke's approval of the Saudi flights? on what are you basing Bushs complicity ???

First the point about the Taliban was not that they where here. It was that they decided not to let us put a pipeline across Afganistan. So Bush decided to "replace them" and now we have our pipeline.

Who is Richard Clarkes boss? I think that that was a pretty important decision that should have been made by the President. Being to busy is no excuss for a **** up of this magnitude.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
del105 said:
First the point about the Taliban was not that they where here. It was that they decided not to let us put a pipeline across Afganistan. So Bush decided to "replace them" and now we have our pipeline.
You must be joking:D :D :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
ivan1 said:
You must be joking:D :D :D
It is really simple, I believe that if we sent 100k troops to afganistan instead of 10k we would have captured Osama. We didn't do that though instead we sent 10k to run off the Taliban, not capture and punish them but simply run them off. The only thing we succeed in doing in Afganistan was getting our puppet government in place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't even understand how you can argue this? Are you honestly happy with the way events have unfolded the fast few years? Are you happy that our country is spending 1 billion dollars a week and thousands of lives to take over Iraq? Why did we do it? They were no threat to us, everyone else knew they had no weapons. If you honestly believe we did it to "liberate" the people of Iraq, than you are not only extremely naive but also extremely stupid.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I guess you know better the the president... when are you running? you have my vote:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts