The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
s4norice said:
I need the mp3 compt head unit from the touring package... i would like to pay $50+shipping
HA HA HA. Seriously, you don't want it. It is by far the worst head unit I have ever had the displeasure of listening to. You can't even turn off the 24 hour time. The radio reception is bad, and that is when you are stationary. If you decide to drive anywhere, you can watch the scroll keep cycling through the stations for minutes at a time. Also, the equalizer display is a joke. It is always maxed out, and the refresh rate is terribly slow. Seriously, you don't want it under any circumstances.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You do realize that that head unit is about $500 new, right? I need a Carerra GT, I'd like to pay about $40,000.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Actually, I think it's a very good stereo. I no longer care about the 24 hr clock as it's hardly readable anyway in daylight, being blue text on a black background.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mean,
YOu probably should read the manual and make sure your scan is set for N. America. You'd be surprised how that'd fix things. Also, it just takes a little fiddling but see no probs with it. Perhaps you have a loose wire, my antenna is good and I can pick up FM for about 50 miles (which is about the same distance in my Prius)

I also find the preset equalizer setting disco to give great bass.
Chris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
If you play with the menus you can change things around a bit. You can turn the EQ display off which I prefer. You can adjust day and night brightness. EQ for disco, rock or classical improve the basic sound quality. CDs sound much better than FM. The speakers are the main limiting factor in terms of sound quality. The North America toggle will certainly help. A better antennae is available and fits in the hole under the black insert on the engine cover. You can set the display to show red or blue for selected items. You can change how it scrolls station or song titles. You can turn it on when the car is off by toggling the power button. The radio is not a big part of the Elise experience though, driving is the main thing.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: For those of you who has aftermarket head unit.. could u sell me your stock(touring)?

s4norice said:
I need the mp3 compt head unit from the touring package... i would like to pay $50+shipping
rotfl

·
Registered
555 Posts
I sold mine for $250.00 !! What a SUCKER!! That IS the biggest P-O-S head unit on the market! Who ever would pay $480 new is D-U-M-B! (sorry LSU!) ...and take those speakers and use them as wheel blocks!

Time to go back to Alpine!! LSU take note!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I just took delivery of my car and when I got home I noticed that one of the screws holding in the speakers in missing and the grill cover is off and I cant get it back on. They noticed it was loose when the were doing the PDI and said that now they are using new grill covers and ordered them for me, they just wanted me not to have to wait to get the car and said they will call me when the part comes in.

I only had the stereo on in the garage and was playing with it for about 1/2 an hour. I read the manual about 6 months ago, but cant remember everything, but I like the way it tells you what song is playing on some of the radio stations. I noticed a bunch of other stuff in the radio box. I know there is a microphone for adjusting the sound, but are the other things connectors for Ipods, or hooking up amplifiers?

It sounded ok to me, but I am not really into stereos. Hey its a Lotus, not some hi-tech gizmo mobile- I'm just be glad it doesnt have just an am radio and an 8 trackplayer. I dont even own a cd player.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So do the Euro cars come with the same stereo systems?

I mean, Lotus could have chose ANY stereo to fill the slot on the Elise and made this peculiar choice. Why? Is it the lightest perhaps?

It's certainly not the cheapest. I'd rather they stick a $20 stereo in there, apply some starshield at the factory and call it even.

Why a $500 stereo nobody seems to like? Weird.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with it! I got the Los Angeles model (the one that comes with the touring pack). I also own a lower-end Blaupunkt San Jose (gotta like the California theme ;) ) installed in another vehicle, and the LA model is a nice improvement over that.

My only fault with the stereo are the speakers..the mids and highs are OK, but that's about all they have to offer. It's hard to fault Lotus for this, as most factory stereos have lame speakers.

xxxotic, some of the other cables in the box would normally be used when installing this stereo and were not needed in this case, and yes, some are for connecting devices to the auxiliary input.

I think Lotus made an excellent choice in stereos with the LA model. Why? High power, great equalizer, silver color to match the rest of the car, and a true volume knob (I hate the push button volume controls).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I also like it, once it was adjusted using the EQ.

It is not incredible like my previous Lexus's Nakamichi.... but it's good enough for what I want in the Elise.

·
Registered
970 Posts
girlracer said:
I expect upgrading the speakers will fix the stereo.

doubt that would fix the problem...as most audiophiles know, a good amp makes the biggest difference followed by good speakers and lastly headunit...a good amp like the ADS will make any system much better....I dont plan on spending any time or money on stereo cause I wont use as daily driver

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I don't doubt what you say about the importance of a good amp, but I can tell you I had the opportunity to hear 1FASTMX5's upgraded speakers at the club 111 get-together and I thought it was a noticeable improvement...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It all depends on what is the weakest link. A GREAT amp pushing crappy speakers is not going to show the value of that great amp.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Randy Chase said:
It all depends on what is the weakest link. A GREAT amp pushing crappy speakers is not going to show the value of that great amp.
No, but a good amp will show more improvent for a weak system than a good set of speakers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts