The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you store your gun in the car? I can't comfortably sit in the seat with my pistol holstered on my right side, as it pushes me too far left and the seats are snug to begin with.

I've been keeping it here:

Has anyone come up with a more elegant solution, such as a holster mounted under the dash?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Kel-Tec in my cargo pocket; most accessible while being discreet

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can pocket carry a J-Frame in shorts strongside in an Uncle Mike's holster... When I'm at work I put it exactly where you do... (cover car). I carry IWB a G19 and can sit on it no problem but I'm 5'11'' 165lbs and in shape (bodytype). I think where you put it is the safest most functional place for it to be. -JD

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Problem with where you put it is its not concealed which is illegal in Texas and probably all other CC states as well.

BTW, for people who don't know anyone in Texas can carry a concealed gun in their car without a CC license

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't think it's safe to transfier your carry piece from a holster on your person to a holster in the car. If you had a dedicated car gun I can see how it'd be pragmatic but to constantly be switching holsters is exposing the trigger too often and the laws of probability will apply. When I move carry to spot you pictured it always remains in original holster.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I carry 4:00 on my hip. Im pretty thin so that helps with the seats but I much prefer carrying on your person rather than having it holstered inside the car somewhere. It ensures that no matter what happens the weapon is directly on you rather than inside the car. Should you get in an accident or temporarily leave the vehicle and then need it, you will have direct access to the weapon. Going from holster to car, car to holster just complicates things. And if you one day need to get to your weapon quickly it is in the same place it always is, on your hip. Weither you're in your car or not, its on your hip. It helps to simplify your muscle memory in a chaotic situation where you are relying on training. If you train to draw from your hip at the range that training will carry on when you're inside a vehicle, and you'll react much swifter as a result. If the weapon is in the holster and you instinctively reach for your hip and don't find it in it's usual location, you just added several seconds to your reaction time while your brain tries to reassess the situation and figure out what just happened.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I carry 4:00 on my hip. Im pretty thin so that helps with the seats but I much prefer carrying on your person rather than having it holstered inside the car somewhere. It ensures that no matter what happens the weapon is directly on you rather than inside the car. Should you get in an accident or temporarily leave the vehicle and then need it, you will have direct access to the weapon. Going from holster to car, car to holster just complicates things. And if you one day need to get to your weapon quickly it is in the same place it always is, on your hip. Weither you're in your car or not, its on your hip. It helps to simplify your muscle memory in a chaotic situation where you are relying on training. If you train to draw from your hip at the range that training will carry on when you're inside a vehicle, and you'll react much swifter as a result. If the weapon is in the holster and you instinctively reach for your hip and don't find it in it's usual location, you just added several seconds to your reaction time while your brain tries to reassess the situation and figure out what just happened.
agreed

i carry it on my hip...on my left hand side i have my phone on my hip and on my right hand side i have my gun.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't imagine crawling in and out with a cocked-n-locked 1911, holstered or otherwise. Get a Scandium/Titanium Model 340 Smith. You'll be adding lightness and won't have any accidental discharges or malfunctions. Guaranteed to go boom every time you pull the trigger. You can carry it in an unzipped bag on the seat (like a Blackhawk with handles) and stick it in a pocket or holster when you get out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's all well and good; in theory. My reality is that the seats are simply too small and I am too big for that to work.

agreed

i carry it on my hip...on my left hand side i have my phone on my hip and on my right hand side i have my gun.
Damn. Do you have a 28" waist?

I can't imagine crawling in and out with a cocked-n-locked 1911, holstered or otherwise. Get a Scandium/Titanium Model 340 Smith. You'll be adding lightness and won't have any accidental discharges or malfunctions. Guaranteed to go boom every time you pull the trigger. You can carry it in an unzipped bag on the seat (like a Blackhawk with handles) and stick it in a pocket or holster when you get out.
I get the sense that you're implying that a 1911 in Condition 1 is not safe. I disagree wholeheartedly. That said, my preference is for 1911s and that's all I buy, build or carry. I'm not going to a high-powered revolver with a wee barrel and tremendous muzzle flip just because it fits the nature of the car. I carry what I'm comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
During the summer I carry a Kel-tec PF9 IWB on my strong side abdomen... I don't think that would work with a full-sized 1911 though. Do you take it back out of the car when you're going somewhere? We have so many car break-ins here that I'd never leave a firearm in the car.

Have you looked at the Springfield EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol)? They look really cool but they are nearly impossible to find and are extremely expensive. Although if 1911s are your thing it would be a great carry gun....

I couldn't imagine carrying my full-sized 1911 with me everywhere. The thing is so heavy I have to tighten my belt so it doesn't pull my pants down :crazyeyes

·
Registered
113 Posts
In the Lotus I will always put my 2.5" .454 in between the left side of the frame and the drivers seat. It seems to fit nice and snug there and it reamins mostly out of sight. When I exit the vehicle I use and inside the pant, strapless holster. It a very large CC weapon but its still pokes my crotch less than my 1911. I sacrifice comfort for the total reliability of the weapon but I also sometimes carry one of these in the little 5th pocket in my jeans. I call it the Peanut.

Also here is a pic of the .454 from another thread and the holster i use:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/do-you-own-firearm-29894/index13.html#post1013676

Attachments

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
just do and carry whatever you all are comfortable with...we dont get the same privileges as you lucky folks out here in CA.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
During the summer I carry a Kel-tec PF9 IWB on my strong side abdomen... I don't think that would work with a full-sized 1911 though. Do you take it back out of the car when you're going somewhere? We have so many car break-ins here that I'd never leave a firearm in the car.

Have you looked at the Springfield EMP (Enhanced Micro Pistol)? They look really cool but they are nearly impossible to find and are extremely expensive. Although if 1911s are your thing it would be a great carry gun....

I couldn't imagine carrying my full-sized 1911 with me everywhere. The thing is so heavy I have to tighten my belt so it doesn't pull my pants down :crazyeyes
I would never, ever, leave it in the vehicle. When I get in, I take it out of the holster and when I get out, I put it in. Leaving your weapon unattended can lead to disastrous consequences.

I haven't looked at the Springfield until you mentioned it, but I don't see it available in .45 ACP.

The 1911 I carry is a Kimber Tactical Pro II. It's a Commander-size with an alloy frame, so it's not too heavy. Aside from it being a POS and having to deal with Kimber's atrocious customer service, it's been a good gun. I refuse to clean it but I keep it oiled and I've never had a failure to fire.

In the Lotus I will always put my 2.5" .454...

*snip*

I call it the Peanut.
LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts