The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so after making the move to adding a pair of OE Brembo 2-pots to the rear for better braking, I wasn't too pleased with having an additional 8lb parking brake caliper attached to each upright. I use my car for auto-xing with the SCCA and in SSM we're required to keep a hand brake. I saw pictures on here and the web of a light weight alloy brake and after a bunch of sleuthing, I finally found the guy who makes and sells them.

If you want a set, they are made by Frank Jakos. email: [email protected]
They are $620.00 shipped.

They weigh a little over 3lbs a piece so it's about an 11lb weight savings for both calipers.

Install was really straightforward. There is a nut on the backside of the caliper (seen in the last pic) that is used to adjust the position of the floating caliper so that after you adjust your cable length, the pads will float about .010 (use a feeler gauge) off the rotor for no drag.

I'm using the EP uprights with a 16mm offset hub position so I had to add a few washers behind the bolts that mount the calipers. If I didn't have 1000 other things to do to get my car ready for this season, I would have simply cut off the excess bolt.

Anyway, Frank isn't really good at advertising this stuff and he doesn't have a web store or anything so I thought I'd share my impressions of this bit of kit since I'm sure there is some demand for it and it's hard to find. Hope I'm not breaking some forum rule but I don't even know the guy who makes them so... no affiliation.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
I did it with a wilwood parking brake caliper more easy to fit since the holding support for the câble I saw included into the caliper. It is probably cheaper to fit.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Anyway, Frank isn't really good at advertising this stuff and he doesn't have a web store or anything so I thought I'd share my impressions of this bit of kit since I'm sure there is some demand for it and it's hard to find. Hope I'm not breaking some forum rule but I don't even know the guy who makes them so... no affiliation.
No rule problem as far as I'm concerned. It's really a niche part that doesn't compete with any vendor product I know of.

I remember seeing some "spot calipers" when I was frequenting one of the other forums a few years back. Same kind of setup. I haven't had a parking brake for 7+ years and there are rare times when I'm parking on a steep incline that I'd like one. But I would literally just want one. Any reason you need two?

San

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
The combo of the front caliper + HB caliper with rotor weighs how much compared to the stock rear caliper & rotor?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Can this be just a direct replacement for the rear handbrake without the addition of the front 2 pot calipers? Saving 11lbs would be a nice upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Probably both these options are pretty light[this and wilwood] and with lighter rotors and more weight on the rear you don't feel the sprung/unsprung difference

Most of the fixed caliper e brakes in the past are pretty hokey one way or another, the Elan is amazingly bad, many cars are using an entire drum brake just for the ebrake!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the OE 2-pot weighs 5.5lbs, then this combo is the same weight as the stock crappy rear caliper. I have not weighed the front caliper but it doesn't feel too heavy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Can you please send link for parts? Also how much does the wilwood part weigh?
The caliper are Wilwood MC4. I have in my note that the weight is 3.3 pounds each, but not sure. Here few pics of the set-up. The adapter plate is easy to make and I can provide the STP file if someone wants it. I reused the OEM cable attachment welded to the Wilwood. It is a small spacer into the Wilwood to suit 24 mm disc, but it is working. The handbrake works a lot better than OEM.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
If the OE 2-pot weighs 5.5lbs, then this combo is the same weight as the stock crappy rear caliper. I have not weighed the front caliper but it doesn't feel too heavy.
Thanks! IIRC, the weight of the AP 4 piston (motorsport version) caliper is 6.4lbs.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Group buy for discount????

·
Registered
44 Posts
Old thread, but in case anyone is interested: I decided to solve this by putting an inline hydraulic brake line valve on the rear brake circuit. Press brake pedal, turn knob. Uses the rear calipers (in my case, 2 pot APs) to provide parking brake function. My car is all stripped so no issue mounting the knob on the dash. I'm using the BOE Brake Bias Cage and ABS delete, so piping this inline into the rear circuit is pretty trivial. Also, with the bias cage I have independent brake circuits providing redundancy in case of failure, so I felt comfortable doing away with e-brake function. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Old thread, but in case anyone is interested: I decided to solve this by putting an inline hydraulic brake line valve on the rear brake circuit. Press brake pedal, turn knob. Uses the rear calipers (in my case, 2 pot APs) to provide parking brake function. My car is all stripped so no issue mounting the knob on the dash. I'm using the BOE Brake Bias Cage and ABS delete, so piping this inline into the rear circuit is pretty trivial. Also, with the bias cage I have independent brake circuits providing redundancy in case of failure, so I felt comfortable doing away with e-brake function. Hope this helps.

The really neat thing to do with this would be to attach the e-brake cable to it so it looked and acted like OEM. Use a spring to return the valve to the open position and give the e-brake the feel that it was doing something.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of you interested in doing a line lock for your e-brake purposes, check the rules with what ever sanctioning body you run with. In SSM, you have to have a redundant system for the ebrake. A line lock will not suffice.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
This could be part of that setup, but pricier: LEVER LOCK | MICO, Inc.
That is the part that that is needed but it is not intended for overnight or extended parking times. I wonder if that is just a claim for liability or not. Also, the instructions make a comment about pressure variances due to temperature changes. In fact, the recommend resetting the pressure every hour.

Later,
Eldon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts