The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Hah! Awesome! And hats off to you! As a precaution, try and get the most extreme pad differential you can to enhance safety. Test it as best you can, and enjoy :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Here is a thought. Put a street pad in the front and a race pad in the back. That way the rears will never do anything scary back there!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My plan was to match the front and rear exactly, caliper, rotor, and super light street pad (G-Loc GS1). However, if I have issues, I do have a set of RS14's I can add to the front, but I'd rather get something besides a pure race pad. We'll see how it goes down.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Are the Pagid RS14's "race" enough for the rear?

I wouldn’t recommend it. Those were stock on my Exige S240, and I would not characterize them as “race”, more like streetable HPDE pads. It doesn’t take a whole lot to warm them up, and once wam they have a fairly high CoF. OTOH I did manage to overcook them on the track. I think you’d be better off with mild (low CoF) street pads on the rear and “autocross” pads up front (a more aggressive pad that doesn’t require much heat, Carbotech AX6 for instance).

my .02, -Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wouldn’t recommend it. Those were stock on my Exige S240, and I would not characterize them as “race”, more like streetable HPDE pads. It doesn’t take a whole lot to warm them up, and once wam they have a fairly high CoF. OTOH I did manage to overcook them on the track. I think you’d be better off with mild (low CoF) street pads on the rear and “autocross” pads up front (a more aggressive pad that doesn’t require much heat, Carbotech AX6 for instance).

my .02, -Ed
Thanks for the info.

I'm really going to try the 50/50 first, then go from there.

·
Registered
898 Posts
No. The race pads will never bite under street conditions. They are like blocks of ice. :)
Sorry, but I am going to disagree with this statement. There may be some race pads that will not warm up enough to provide any bite on the street, but the majority of race pads I have run will warm up on the street, especially on a spirited drive or just during one long high speed stop. Running race pads on the rear only will shift the bias from the front to the rear very quickly.

Do not do this!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
@TedR - agreed, if they warm up easily I'll reverse my position. Either way, plenty of testing needed. I have experienced the loss of stopping power you get with equal brake calipers all round.

·
Registered
392 Posts
@VisualEchos hey curious to hear how all your testing went and what you ended up being happy with. I remember seeing a post where you were not going with 4 pots in the rear?? What’s your current brake setup? Wouldn’t mind seeing some of your pics too!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@VisualEchos hey curious to hear how all your testing went and what you ended up being happy with. I remember seeing a post where you were not going with 4 pots in the rear?? What’s your current brake setup? Wouldn’t mind seeing some of your pics too!

I ended up with exactly what I wanted, which was the original Cup car 7624 caliper front and rear, and in the correct position with the stock e-brake. But the pedal feel wasn't what I wanted, and to get it like stock I would have needed to purchase a bigger brake booster. I ended up selling the calipers, but keeping the 308mm 2-piece Cup rotors on the rear, which really helps aesthetically IMO. I'll swap the rear brakes with something else sometime, just have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts