The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a FF splitter changes the front clearance? If so, how much? Is there any concensus that the splitter will protect the clam from minor scrapes? Thanks

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
i thought there was a clearance on forcefed splitters for a sec, hoping for a good deal. :crazyeyes

It will make the front end more prone to scraping yes, probably around an inch lower. If you scrape the splitter it will be a warning to back up.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i thought there was a clearance on forcefed splitters for a sec, hoping for a good deal. :crazyeyes

It will make the front end more prone to scraping yes, probably around an inch lower. If you scrape the splitter it will be a warning to back up.
yeah it lowers it and gives you a warning scrape.
its not that much lower, go for it:shift:

·
Registered
937 Posts
It can make for a sacrificial piece that it easier to replace or repair than a clam. Be sure to securely install the splitter and lookout for the oil line running across the front.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It can make for a sacrificial piece that it easier to replace or repair than a clam. Be sure to securely install the splitter and lookout for the oil line running across the front.
Thanks for the heads-up on the oil line. I don't have my new car yet. Will I need diagrams or photos to know exactly where it lies?

Sorry for the red herring on "clearance"!

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's pretty low. I scrape it every so often on particularly ugly ramps and such, but it's not that bad in every day driving.

Certainly saves the clam.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The biggest problem I had was getting over the $70 shipping charge - re-damn-diculous :mad: (the UPS charges based on weight/size should have been about half that).

Reduces clearance by no more than 1/2".

·
Registered
67 Posts
By the way - comes with no hardware or instructions. There are very faint "divots" in the fiberglass of the splitter indicating where the holes are to be drilled, but you need to custom-fit to your particular clam before drilling.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been considering getting one too — maybe we should try to stage a group buy and get it with free shipping?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have one and the clearence is reduced about 1/2 inch, but because it sticks out further it scrapes more when going from a flat surface on to an incline like a driveway. It is replaceable and much cheaper than a new clam or repairing a clam.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts