The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been looking around for information on forced induction for the 2zz engine. I've found a lot of people saying and testing out stuff. However, i've not been able to find clear information about what is possible and what not. A few questions i'd like to get clarified:
How much whp can you run on the stock block and head?
How much whp can you run on block with valves, springs, 9 to 1 pistons and connected rods upgraded?
Is it possible to have a relatively reliable(with that I mean it's not blowing up every 7500 miles) 400 whp supercharged 2zz? And what does it take to do that blockwise?

Thanks in advance. I know the lotus doesn't need 400 hp to be fun, but I just want to know what it takes to get the 2zz to these powerlevels.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Go to Boe website, you will find all the info you need. There are 3 levels of FI, Rev 300, Rev 400 and Rev X the latter taking you to 500+ hp. As you get more and more HP and torque you will of cause need to upgrade the drivetrain as well.
With Rev 400 you can get 300+ reliable WHP on stock engine, after that you will need new engine internals and tranny upgrade.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For what it's worth, and not commonly mentioned, I've noticed that cars for sale on the forum with a boe supercharger kit have higher sale prices compared to cars with any other supercharger kits on them.

·
Vendor
3,165 Posts
HSp01, I think you will be blown away at how capable a car with the TVS400 on it is. I think people get wrapped up in the numbers, not what it will do. Our 2005 shop car with stock engine and TVS400 did an 11.9 1/4" mile at 119mph on dead street tires. It dynoed at 293whp.

·
488 Posts
Fred you're talking about the REV400 TVS 1320 right?

·
Vendor
3,165 Posts
Fred you're talking about the REV400 TVS 1320 right?
Yes. Stock Motor with TVS400. Later we put on our BWR front Sway bar and BWR Penskes. The car becomes a supercar slayer. Above that power level is certainly possible but at cubic $$$ per horsepower. Ask me how I know.....

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think that 400 whp is too much for the stock engine. For street use, maybe, but not on abuse situation. The cylinder wall is too soft to take the piston side load. Based on my experience and feeling, going over 300 hp is really the limit. Over than that, the cylinder wall need to be in iron or nikasil. The crankshaft is tuff, the base is rigid. But the engine do not like to rev too high, oil pump failure can occurs, and valves may break over the top tip, which is weird.

When we talk about reliability, it is all a time question of application. My car is swapped with a Honda k20 turbo. A k20 may be safe for 600 hp, but on track like I am doing, I limited the power at around 400 whp, and the engine is very reliable, but I have some trouble with the exhaust manifold. And the k20 is a lot better than the 2ZZ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts