The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did this install today and could tell a definite improvement in sound and performance......I was :D when I hit the second cam. This was installed with my Stage II exhaust and I noticed the exhaust pitch is a little higher tone now, sounds a little more exotic. I also noticed less heat felt with this so I am not concerned about the loss of some of the heat shields, no longer needed IMO. The quality of the header justifies the price for me.

The install took about 5 hours, mostly due to me taking my time and taking some pics to put together a DIY guide. Not hard but time consuming. THANKS to all for the information available here concerning the installation that made mine go that much easier.

Anyway, here is the DIY guide I threw together, feel free to critique/offer input:

http://www.billswebspace.com/lotuseliseheaderinstall.htm

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bill, thanks for the excellent write up and pictures! I'll have to find some time one of these weekends to install mine!

·
Registered
537 Posts
:up: Thanks for posting it Bill!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the comments guys :shift:

mchristian said:
Excellent Guide! Thanks - any info on hp/tq numbers? I bet the sound is awesome! :bow: :bow:
There are some dynos from other members floating around on here, I am not close enough to a dyno and travel a good bit so I will probably not make it to a dyno anytime soon (I really would have liked to do a baseline run when I first bought the car). The sound is a LOT closer to what the car looks like (if that makes sense), the low tone of the Stage II is a little higher tone wise at idle and sounds angry once you hit the second cam. I really think this will help tide me over until turbo time ;)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Bill... our new "stan" ?!?!?

:clap:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the intro thread for this header as well:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20303&highlight=header

I believe tuning will always provide the most gains but am happy with the results currently. There are some things that are not quantifiable on a dyno like throttle response, sound, etc. YMMV....

It will take a while for the ECU to adapt the long-term fuel maps so I anticipate it will only get better...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bill, you are a godsend! I am about to do the install in the next couple of weeks, this is really handy to refer to :)

Thank you very much! :bow:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, I got the dreaded P0420 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold" error, time to look at electronic corrections for the post-cat O2 sensor. This was with the test pipe, entirely possible the mechanical fix will still work for the high flow cat. Good news is that in 100 miles this is the only error code, none pending and no lean A/F ratio codes.

I ordered the O2 sim from O2Sim.com (http://www.o2sim.com/28301/index.html) that darkSol has used with success, this is the route I also had to take with my Lexus header install and no CEL.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Bill, I understand correctly you are running a test or "race" style pipe and not the hi flow cat? Is the cause of you CEL error?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mark.r said:
Bill, I understand correctly you are running a test or "race" style pipe and not the hi flow cat? Is the cause of you CEL error?
Most likely although some others here have gotten the same CEL with the high flow cat. As already mentioned, our ECU is pretty smart. The post-cat O2 sensor's only purpose is for the computer to determine if the cat is doing it's job within parameters. The mechanical fix I am using has had success for others, but I'm going to try the electrical fix next (O2 Sim). After the first two error codes were cleared I have not had another but have a feeling it will be back.......until I get the O2 sim installed.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
wrh3 said:
Most likely although some others here have gotten the same CEL with the high flow cat. As already mentioned, our ECU is pretty smart. The post-cat O2 sensor's only purpose is for the computer to determine if the cat is doing it's job within parameters. The mechanical fix I am using has had success for others, but I'm going to try the electrical fix next (O2 Sim). After the first two error codes were cleared I have not had another but have a feeling it will be back.......until I get the O2 sim installed.
Understood. But, what I am confused about is, are you using something different than what was purchased with header. Your test pipe looks different than the cat I have with my street heard if I recall correctly. I am trying to avoid the CEL without further work other than the install.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts