The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
mark.r said:
Understood. But, what I am confused about is, are you using something different than what was purchased with header. Your test pipe looks different than the cat I have with my street heard if I recall correctly. I am trying to avoid the CEL without further work other than the install.
The test pipe (which replaces the cat) is available separately from ForcedFed, this is what I am currently using but I did get the cat as well. With the cat, your chances of a CEL go down but the nature of a high flow cat is that it typically has less cells than the OEM and may still not be within the parameters the ECU expects. Reading about user installs here it seems some have had CELs and some not.

The mechanical CEL eliminator I used has worked for others (also a DIY here about how to use spark plug arrestors for a similar function). I have not yet tried the cat so I don't know if you will have a CEL or not, worst case is that at some point you get the cat error and do the spark plug arrestor mod for $5. If that doesn't work the O2 sim is easy enough to install and only cost $35. I also went ahead and bought an OBDII scanner for $50 just to have in the trunk to read/clear codes.

FWIW, I installed a header on my Lexus and that header was shipped with an O2 sim, when installed I never had a CEL on that car.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
UPDATE: I may have found a mechanical MIL eliminator that works on eBay from seller strutking. I have found this has worked for the past 300 miles and no CEL, the electronic one I ordered is in my garage just in case ;) :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O2-S...ryZ42610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The first mechanical MIL eliminator from GPMoto (left in pics below) I tried did not work, the one on eBay has worked great and is cheap, but I had to drill the adapter deeper to clear our O2 sensor, I let the seller know that for our application he needs to drill deeper so if you go this route you may want to remind him that our O2 sensor requires about 1/4" more depth than the other applications.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good luck with the longer mech. adaptor as mine did not work. Currently awaiting the electrical adaptor as they were out of stock. Saw interesting article on the Mini site regarding replacing with a free flow cat suggesting reseting ECU when Cat is replaced. Had been going crazy with Cel 0420. My cel took 90 miles of contin. driving to flash, it has done this repeatedly,then the other day forgot to remove key and totally drained battery. recharged it and no more flash for the first time?? Most likely ECU will relearn! Believe the electrical 0-2 simulator will work as the electrical signal from the simulated sensor fool's sensor #1,therefore ECU.
JGF

/

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, it is longer and has a smaller hole for exhaust to travel through so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I did about 100 miles continuous yesterday and no CEL (about 300 miles total since I installed it)......I do have the electronic O2 sim waiting though, it actually mimics the post cat O2 sensor functioning normally. Others on here have had success for thousands of miles with the plug defouler mod, very similar to this mechanical eliminator I am using now.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed the eBay seller strutking sells a few different models of the mechanical MIL eliminator. Could you please tell us which one you purchased and provide a bit more detail on the modification you made to it in order for it to fit properly?:confused: BTW, nice Lotus My Space page!:up:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wonder if recent problem's with changing fuel blend's for the sake of energy conservation is somehow confusing Cell's . Here in Co. fuel is terrible. I understand we are one of the first States to get fuel released from Strategic Reserves when it is time to circulate it supplies and stories circulate that many station's are no were near the octane etc. they state they are. LowerOctane burn hotter therefore impact converter's.
How easy is the electronic sim to install. I understand wire's must be cut to the 0-2 sensor and spliced? Is there a new sensor that must be installed the place of the old secondary?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
GoSpeedGo said:
I noticed the eBay seller strutking sells a few different models of the mechanical MIL eliminator. Could you please tell us which one you purchased and provide a bit more detail on the modification you made to it in order for it to fit properly?:confused: BTW, nice Lotus My Space page!:up:
I believe the piece he sells is the same but listed with different models in the title for marketing. Where the O2 sensor screws into his piece, it is drilled to accomodate the oxygen sensor male piece below the threads, but the piece I received was not bored deep enough and the O2 sensor bottomed out in his piece before it was tight. I had to drill a little deeper (carefull not to screw up the threads on his piece) so that the O2 sensor would go all the way in. He didn't seem to think it would be a big deal to make them deeper with his next batch, I was hoping to help him out (and us) by sharing the information with him.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
dakotan50sw said:
How easy is the electronic sim to install. I understand wire's must be cut to the 0-2 sensor and spliced? Is there a new sensor that must be installed the place of the old secondary?
I have not done the O2 sim install on this car but have on other cars. This works for the secondary/post-cat O2 sensor. Basically it is powered by the heater circuit for the O2 sensor, and the sensor output is cut and the O2 sim output replaces this signal with one that looks good to the ECM, two wires tapped and one cut/spliced. The O2 sensor remains in place since the ECM also monitors the heater circuit functions, if removal of the O2 sensor is desired they sell a resistor at O2Sim.com that is supposed to mimic this function (no experience with this but I believe darkSol has done this on his car). I don't mind doing this as a last resort but really hope the mechanical piece works as it is more easily reversed (although if the wires are modified on the O2 sensor side of the plug, worst case is the replacement of the O2 sensor for a reversion to stock uncut wires).

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just wanted to chim in and say how grateful I am that people take the time to put together such quality writeups like this. :up: Cheers!

·
shay2nak
25,089 Posts
I'd be interested in picking up this piece with it bored out another 1/4 inch. I don't have any tools at home or at work to do it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
this has been a most rewarding thread for me.
this OBD2 baloney on our cars has been an expensive useless mess.
you've given me some great info.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
GoSpeedGo said:
Can you please give us any update in regards to any CEL lights since the newer MIL install? Thanks!

Two tanks of gas (~600 miles) and no CEL :up:

shay2nal said:
I'd be interested in picking up this piece with it bored out another 1/4 inch. I don't have any tools at home or at work to do it.
The contact info I have for the seller is [email protected], he also sells on eBay under user strutking. If you let him know that you need his mechanical O2 Simulator with additional depth for the Lotus Elise (he should remember our email discussion from a week or so ago) he should be able to help you out.

Here is a current eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O2-S...ryZ42610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
shay2nak
25,089 Posts
wrh3 said:
Two tanks of gas (~600 miles) and no CEL :up:

The contact info I have for the seller is [email protected], he also sells on eBay under user strutking. If you let him know that you need his mechanical O2 Simulator with additional depth for the Lotus Elise (he should remember our email discussion from a week or so ago) he should be able to help you out.

Here is a current eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/O2-S...ryZ42610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GoSpeedGo said:
I contacted Kevin ( [email protected] ) about his simulator. He said he will be making the changes necessary and should have something by mid February. I will post as soon as I hear back.:up:

cool! thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
See prior post regarding cel P-0420. Thought had rectified the prob.by installation of mech. 0-2 simulator, changing gas, ECU reboot. Drove 300miles without cell,posted all was well,but @ 320miles today ECU must have relearned and cell flash P-0420. Last step is installation of electric 0-2 sim.

·
Registered
95 Posts
dakotan50sw said:
See prior post regarding cel P-0420. Thought had rectified the prob.by installation of mech. 0-2 simulator, changing gas, ECU reboot. Drove 300miles without cell,posted all was well,but @ 320miles today ECU must have relearned and cell flash P-0420. Last step is installation of electric 0-2 sim.
Can you please tell us which mech. 0-2 simulator you tried?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts