The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with a Ford Flex? Just wanting a replacement for our old minivan for the wife and kids. It looks nice, we test drove one. Just want some feedback from any Lotus owners here who happen to have a Ford Flex. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Outside of the fact that it's hideous, not really sure.

Sorry man, just keeping it honest. I think that think looks like a hearse. I like the idea - lower stance, etc - but the execution is just blah.

How many kids do you have? Do you need a third row seat? Really, your choices are minivan or SUV. If you want to give up a little room, a Honda Crosstour isn't too bad.

What about Audi A4 or A6 Avant? Very nice.

·
Registered
657 Posts
How about the new Explorer? Just bought a Limited for my wife and she loves it. She is an SUV person and had the BMW X5, The MB ML500, and the last one was the Volvo XC90 V8. Thus far, she says that the Explorer is probably one of her favorites. I have to admit I enjoy drivin it too, packed with really cool features and technoloy, very quiet and comfortable, seats 7 easy and one of the best 3rd row seat on the market. I personally like the look of it, in white or black.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
The styling is funky on the outside, but they're kind of charming on the inside. My dad, who drove 25K miles per year for the past decade in a string of SUVs, bought one and we all really liked it. Roomy, drove nice, convenient touches to the interior. I like them.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I actually don't mind the styling of the Flex. My daughter hates the styling. I think the styling is at least different than all the SUV's out there that are beginning to look all the same.

Sorry I can't offer any feedback on reliability though since I don't have one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a company car that is a Flex. Drives very nice, comfortable, and you can fit your house inside of it (which I need to as an laboratory robotics sales guy). I was at first not happy to find out that I was going to have to drive a Flex, but knowing I have the Elise for fun, I quickly got over it. Very functional vehicle.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I have a company car that is a Flex. Drives very nice, comfortable, and you can fit your house inside of it (which I need to as an laboratory robotics sales guy). I was at first not happy to find out that I was going to have to drive a Flex, but knowing I have the Elise for fun, I quickly got over it. Very functional vehicle.
which company do you work for? I'm in med device now, but I used to be in that field. I worked at Symyx now called Freeslate I think.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Seems like the Flex has a nicely designed engine and a great engine with the twin turbo Ecoboost option...but IMO they forgot to work on the exterior.

Personally, I like the looks of the Toyota Sienna more than the Flex.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Actually I stand corrected. I just looked at them again.

HUGE interior space, a low profile and the most redeeming thing about a minivan - the sliding rear door. MAGIC for kids!

And it's AWD. Basically, it's a minivan without the minivan styling (and AWD - 95% of minivans aren't).

If they got rid of the two tone roof and those door/deck slats, it could be quite good.

The more I look at it, if you don't want to do the minivan, it's a fantastic family vehicle. Looks like very few blind spots too.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Negatory - the rear doors open normally. These do open quite wide though, and the low sill makes getting in and out easy.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Negatory - the rear doors open normally. These do open quite wide though, and the low sill makes getting in and out easy.
My bad. Googled this image and though they did:

Even still, why can't auto makers figure out how to make an SUV type car with a lower stance and sliding rear doors for kid ingress/egress?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Funny this thread pops up. I'm renting one as we speak in the Florida keys. I can tell you that paired with the non-boosted six cyl and loaded with 6 passengers it's miserably slow and gutless. The interior design is not bad though. Great fit and finish...

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Even still, why can't auto makers figure out how to make an SUV type car with a lower stance and sliding rear doors for kid ingress/egress?
I agree. The Mazda 5 was kinda close.

I love minivans. They are just as engineered for a purpose as our cars are - hauling a family and their stuff conveniently. It's a shame that they've grown a stigma, though the styling could be more interesting.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't know why the domestics love those side grooves/slats/slits/whatever they're called.

The Flex is the result of a Mini Cooper mating with an LR4? ;)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I don't know why the domestics love those side grooves/slats/slits/whatever they're called.

The Flex is the result of a Mini Cooper mating with an LR4? ;)
Glad you notice that. I think the Flex and the new Explorer definitely have Land/Range Rover vibes:

And yes, Minivans obviously have a stigma, but anyone with kids will tell you they are simply the most practical vehicle ever made.

And they all smell like McDonald's fries.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Glad you notice that. I think the Flex and the new Explorer definitely have Land/Range Rover vibes:

And yes, Minivans obviously have a stigma, but anyone with kids will tell you they are simply the most practical vehicle ever made.

And they all smell like McDonald's fries.
I will have a minivan when I have a family. It will look something like this:

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
friend of mine had one, he liked it.
i believe they are or were discounting them pretty good.

one way to find out if you like them..... go drive one. bring the family too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting one ~ thanks for the feedback!

Ford Flex...got a good deal on a 2012 SEL model w/ upgraded options, since 2013's are coming out. Car should be here next week sometime. Mainly, my wife will drive it. And, I'm definitely going to crank up the Sony Premium 12 speaker sound system !

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Just saw one today and made me think about this thread. They are really low to the ground. In pics, they resemble and SUV, whereas in person, they are really more comparable to a wagon - or dare I say it - a hearse!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flex arrived! Elise is happy

We got a great deal on a FLEX. Shipped to us from 10 hours away, delivered yesterday via car carrier, it got dark soon afterwards so I could only snap a couple pix inside the garage. Elise is now happy to have such great company in the garage. The Flex does make the Elise look (all the more) smaller. Anyhow, these two cars are the exact polar opposites of each other. So much interior space inside the FLEX !!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts