The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am looking to get a truck and am between two trucks. This truck will mainly be for towing but will only tow once every 2 months or so. I am looking at a V6 ford ranger and a 5.7 V8 tundra. Both are 08 models and both are 0% financing. The tundra is 30k and the ranger is 23k. Which would you get and why?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Well I am looking to get a truck and am between two trucks. This truck will mainly be for towing but will only tow once every 2 months or so. I am looking at a V6 ford ranger and a 5.7 V8 tundra. Both are 08 models and both are 0% financing. The tundra is 30k and the ranger is 23k. Which would you get and why?
I've got a '96 4x4 extended cab Ranger with the 4.0L V6. I has towed my Elan and trailer (around 3,000 lbs) without any trouble at all (really couldn't tell it was their if I didn't look in my mirrors). My wife and daughter used the truck to tow a fully loaded U-Haul trailer (around 5,000 lbs) from Virginia to Texas (daughter was moving there for school) with the bed of the truck loaded pretty well too. They had no problems at all. That trip was done when the truck had just over 100,000 miles on it. It's got around 120,000 now and is going strong (daughter has it in Texas).

I haven't tried the Toyota (or a newer Ranger for that matter), but my '96 Ranger hasn't had any problems, and has held up very well. I kind of miss it...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Depends what you are looking for. The Toyota Tundra is a great truck with a lot of power and torque. Gas mileage is shot to hell.

The Ford Ranger is a cheaper alternative although is not nearly as powerful. I have driven both and I think the Tundra is a better choice.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
there's quite a difference between the two. I'd compare the ranger against a tacoma, or the Tundra against an F150.
Cons on the ranger:
just cause it can tow 5-7000 lbs doesn't mean you want to do it often or for any distance.

how much do you care about gas mileage?
will you drive the truck much outside of the once-a-month towing?

If you're not concerned about the $7k difference, get the Toyo, it's a better truck all around.
if you are concerned about the $7k, pickup a used F150 for $10-15k.
I don't see the Ranger as a viable option...but, I'm not you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What are you going to be towing? If you're doing it regularly (2x/month) - you need to make sure you have enough truck for the load. Definitely make sure you get tow mirrors if your trailer's a car trailer - otherwise changing lanes is kinda hairy.

I was trying to decide between a Ford and a Toyota truck late last year, but for me the Ford was a F-250 Diesel which I ended up picking up for a good price, used. I think if you're towing < 4K lbs, Ranger is fine, but if you're towing 5K +, go with the Tundra.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to be towing the lotus and tools and such. The reason I am comparing the two is because the tacoma is 17 dollars a month cheaper due to interest rates. The Tundra is 0% and the taco is 2.9%. The ranger is 380 a month and the tundra would be 500ish a month. I am comparing total cost to own which is car maintenance, breakdowns, and vehicle price.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Toyota doesnt break down :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Unless you don't go over mountains, and like to drive slow don't get the Ranger. Put the lotus behind something more secure like the Tundra or an F150.

If you're financing because it makes some sort of financial sense to you, get the Tundra. It has fairly good resale.
But, the best dollar-for-function mobile will be a $10-15k F150 or a CPO Tundra. Depreciation, cost, resale, repair will most likely be way cheaper.

But what do I know, I like vans.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Toyota Tacoma

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6

Towing Capacity: 3500 LBS
Towing Capacity w/ Tow Package: 6500 LBS

I don't have the tow package, and I have towed a Honda Civic on a auto hauler before w/o a problem. The Lotus Elise should therefore not be a problem because it is lighter.

Only difference is that towing package has additional oil coolers to keep things cool. However, since I was traveling on the freeway at a steady 55mph, I did not have any problems.

HOWEVER, must be a note, that I was only towing once every 3 or 4 months. Which is why I opt for a Tacoma and not a Tundra, since Tundra uses us more gas than I need to.

You may save a little bit in payment by getting a Tundra over the Tacoma due to interest rates, but consider insurance and gas too over the long-haul. If you don't tow much or HARDLY at all, go with a V6. If you tow enough, go with the Tundra. If you tow ALOT, then diesel.

·
Registered
545 Posts
These are comparing apples to oranges. I'd go Toyota, notice I drive a F-350! Word on the street is that Ford will be killing the Ranger ASAP. The Toyota does not do as well on gas so drive the Lotus more! When towing, and if you deal with poor road conditions I think comfort will out weigh the gas consumption.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'd go with the Toyota. I have a 2007 4x2 5.7L V8 Tundra. I get 17mpg in mixed driving to/from work. I've hauled my 7x14 enclosed trailer several times with it loaded to 6,000 lbs and it pulled strong even when I went uphill over the Grapevine.

·
Vendor
3,177 Posts
I love my tundra. Thirsty around town (13mpg). Towing my 24' box trailer it gets 11mpg. Highway no load, I recently got 20mpg. The motor is a monster. 0-60 in 5.8sec. JBL stereo is very good. Highly recommended. Best gas truck made.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have 11 toyota tundras. Milage varys between 50 k to over 200k years from 2002-2006 .6 of them are v8 . most i have done to eather one is replace starter , rear wheel baring and couple oxygen sensors . Each one used 20-30kmiles /year and is carying about 400-600lbs every day .Tundra is real work horse . I used to use F-150's I had transmissions fall apatr at 120k I had to replace engine one at 110 other 165k . In 2003 started swithing all work trucks to Toyota . Best business decision . They were more expensive but saved me tons of headache and tens of thousands down the road .
I use work truck to take my race car to track I noticed that V6 will use just as much (if not more ) gas than V8 which doesnt have to work as hard pulling same weight .
My sugestion if you'll use it for towing 3500 or more lbs Tundra V8 would be the smartest decision

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have had Chevy and Dodge 1/2 ton trucks (gas v8). Never had any major problems and they were great for pulling ski boats or cars. Not sure would I go with a small v6 truck for towing, but a Tundra or Titan will definitely be top of my list if I would to get a truck again.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
This is what's left of a Dodge Intrepid that struck my stopped Tundra from behind going I think about 55+.

P1010001w.jpg

I'm fine. Gas is cheap, compared to my future.
Pulls an Elise on a Featherlight trailer like a dream. I think it actually handles better when pulling something.

(Notice Saab Sonnett in background)

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
If you are only towing once every two months or so, have you thought about renting a truck/trailer when you want to tow?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You need to do some more homework. A small Ranger with an underpowered V6 and a huge Toyota with a huge engine aren't even in the same league. I am wondering if you have even looked at the trucks in person let alone drive them. Plus, I bought a double cab, 4WD Tundra with a 5.7 L engine last year for a tad over $26,000, and they are still easily found on eBay for a little more than that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts