The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our suppliers now have the ability to make forged carbon parts. This is the same technology innovated and commercialized by Lambo - with the Univ of WA(I believe). You can find forged carbon parts on many current Lambos. I was impressed with it the first time I saw it. I love the way it looks as CF fabric is so 2004. ;) You get many of the same performance properties of hand laid CF without all the cost of manual labor. Of course this lends itself to higher volume parts - which is not common on Lotus :D

What parts would you all like to see made with Forged Carbon? I appreciate your suggestions and ideas! They are quoting our consoleCAP and gearknob now.

Attachments

·
Happy To Be Here
808 Posts
One part I’ve been waiting to see would be a molded front splitter for an Evora. Something like the splitters that the Elise has but works with the stock Evora bumper. I’m just not much of a fan of the simple bolted on sheet metal look of the current aftermarket options. I’d take a molded splitter for an Evora in CF, though fiberglass would also work for me since it’d probably get scraped pretty quick.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A friend has a forged carbon/leather steering wheel on his M4, I thought it looked nice. I do prefer matte carbon weave though.

But you can make a spoiler and matching lower valance and the car will look pretty good.
side view mirror covers.. air scoops.. etc

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I can definitely appreciate the work behind it...but when I saw it in person on a Huracan, from 5ft on, it looks like a dirty cover or something. Looks cool but I as well prefer the carbon weave.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Maybe a send-away for the steering wheel?

Exige scoops?

you already mentioned center console, so that's good.

How strong is the stuff? can it work for Aero? Side sills? wings?

·
Terry
2,189 Posts
looks a bit like marble surface from the picture but that could be because of the shiny finish. I've seen it on the door of LC500 in matte, and that looks good. For me, i still prefer the traditional weave pattern :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm trying to decide if that "look/texture" would look better inside the car or outside and my brain says inside...

If we're talking inside...nothing new to reinvent there. Take your pick! But I think you're going to have to go one way or the other with your carbon parts.

·
Less is Better
2,369 Posts
It's a structural material. How about the coolant expansion tank, the diffuser, body panels. How about the brake ducts like the ones that Porsche attaches to control arms to direct flow from under the car to the brakes?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Exotic cars are getting way too gaudy looking... They are turning into expensive purses.

youtube Tavarish just redid his Murcielago interior in forged carbon. It looks god awful.

·
Less is Better
2,369 Posts
Exotic cars are getting way too gaudy looking... They are turning into expensive purses.

youtube Tavarish just redid his Murcielago interior in forged carbon. It looks god awful.
Getting? That's the whole point of exotic cars.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's a structural material. How about the coolant expansion tank, the diffuser, body panels. How about the brake ducts like the ones that Porsche attaches to control arms to direct flow from under the car to the brakes?
I've read that the cast CF has been used to make engine blocks.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
A while back when I was more into watches I saw Audemars Piguet make watch cases out of forged carbon. I never liked the looks of it because it makes the watch look cheap. It reminds of a plastic Casio watch. Now putting that ugly material on a car where the pieces are much larger than a watch is just not easy on my eyes. But that’s just my humble opinion. Good luck with the venture Shinoo.

·
Less is Better
2,369 Posts
I've read that the cast CF has been used to make engine blocks.
How cool would that be? An even lighter weight engine in the back of this car.

I'd love to get the Elise to a 45/55 weight distribution. I'm convinced that's the magic in the Boxster's formula. Such a beautifully balanced car, plenty of front end grip but also very easy to control yaw and slip at the rear.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate the feedback and every opinion matters to me. Especially the polite ones. :up: I don't ignore any of them as aesthetics are qualitative and not easy to measure with a yardstick.

When I introduced ReVerie's prepreg, autoclaved CF to the Lotus market in 2004, I was accused of selling 'fake' carbon as it had a matte finish and the weave was slightly distorted. Most people in the country, including Lotus guys, were not familiar with this look. The push back I experienced then, reminds me of the comments in this thread. I think this is natural as we tend to gravitate towards the familiar. The community had a similar reaction when I introduced the naked rear on a Lotus way back when. :D

What attracts me to this material is the technical advantages. Having worked with traditional CF since 2004, I've seen behind the curtain. It is not a perfect product and as an engineer, I'm keen to find products that offer other advantages. Forged Carbon has plenty of technical advantages that make it worthy of my scrutiny. I would agree that the look of this material is polarizing and the market may not be quite ready for too much of it. But that has never stopped me from introducing worthy products in measured ways...:)

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well how does it compare cost wise? If a carbon fiber 2 gauge center mount pillar is roughly $60, can you say what a comparable forged carbon piece would cost? That would be just an example. Or maybe something larger like the side scoops? Say $300 for standard CF scoops, what would the forged cost?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts