The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget the Evija. What the world needs is a Lotus SUV

excerpt:

Lotus has always offered the lightest and most driver-connected vehicle in the segment, whether that was affordable runabout (the Seven) or ersatz supercar (the four-cylinder Esprit variants). The current lineup of Elise, Exige, and Evora adheres to that brief and as a result arguably constitutes the finest selection of semi-kinda-sorta-affordable sporting cars in history. The Evora 410 Sport, in particular, is so much better to drive at the limit than any modern “supercar” that it renders the whole notion of a 600-horsepower, mid-mounted vehicle a bit ridiculous.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/09/03/what-the-world-needs-is-a-lotus-suv

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Great article. Makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Gil as you know I got a Stelvio pretty much a year ago. I believe it currently is the lightest suv in it's class so the most "Lotus like" and it drives way more like a car than it should. Admittedly I haven't driven a Maycan but vs a Q5 (which I had for an extended period 18 months ago) there is just something about the Alfa. The Audi is excellent but the Alfa just has that extra bit of special. I did have a Gulia loaner recently and with the lower center of gravity it is as expected sportier than the Stelvio. Saying that I hadn't noticed it before - ie it was only noticable due to my extended time in the Stelvio and since the Giulia is so much better than everything in it's class, it raises that bar.

So I'm a year in and I still love the Stelvio. I don't say this lightly but it may be the best daily driver I've ever had. And this from a die hard car guy "who will never buy an suv".

My point here is I know people bash suvs but if Lotus can build a reliable, great handling, lightest in class suv it definitely can shake the market up and not a stretch for the brand. Although it will be hard to sell that to people who don't get it and are scared of Lots of Trouble Usually Serious. The Alfas are selling but I don't think at a rate that FCA would like. I think Lotus like FCA will need to be patient. A lot of people comment on the Stelvio so it stirs something in them too but I think they think it's higher priced than it so cross it off their list before even considering it. That will be Lotus/Geelys biggest challenge - pricing it right and getting people into seats.

When I had that Q5 it was quantifiably better than the Alfa - ie build quality, tech etc (although the Alfa doesn't fall that far behind) but I knew if I got one I'd hate it in 6 months as it would just be transport. The Alfa hasn't failed me in that respect so I really think Lotus can do this and impress the naysayers but based on my last comment I think they need to make sure the tech is good (which it should be if they use Volvos) to ensure people don't have an excuse to not buy.

I guess the best wayto sum it is is the Alfa has a soul - Lotus need to inject that into their suv for it to be special. We need a Lotus suv.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Had a little fun with Alfa Romeo's website page, hope you enjoy, hehe. I really think Lotus should follow what Alfa is doing at the moment. It seems to be a winning recipe. Then maybe we could get another Esprit to round out the fleet!

Attachments

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks, you made my day! I've really missed Avoidable Contact since Jack Baruth left Road & Track. I didn't know he was writing for Hagerty's website.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mini already filled that niche. My wife's 2015 Mini Countryman has 5-pass capacity, 2960 curb weight, paddle shifters, supercharger, and over 100,000 miles of trouble-free travel on the clock since we bought it new in early 2016. It looks good sharing garage space with my d-d Evora.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mini already filled that niche. My wife's 2015 Mini Countryman has 5-pass capacity, 2960 curb weight, paddle shifters, supercharger, and over 100,000 miles of trouble-free travel on the clock since we bought it new in early 2016. It looks good sharing garage space with my d-d Evora.
True, hopefully Lotus can produce such a vehicle with Lotus styling. :up:

Reactions: 4 Elise

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Everything Cornbeef said about the Stelvio!!! It has quickly (2yrs now) worked it way into my BEST list and as a DD almost at the top. Extraordinary driving dynamics that, like my Lotus, put a smile on your face every time you ask it to do something no SUV should do so effortlessly. Audi is functional germanic sterility. Stelvio is just fnnnn fun!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts