The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my titan MK6 as i realized i could not afford to run 2 formula fords in 2 seperate clubs.
the titan was great, but money, space here at the house, and time were all issues in the choice.
this car just fell into my lap on monday.
its called a formula first.
its a modified Formula Vee, slicks, and some other mods, but its basically a 1600 VW engine(90HP) in a tube frame. it goes 120 mph max, and there is a small group of them running in a grassroots club here locally.
I can leave it outside in the rain if i want, so space is no longer an issue, it needs no more than a simple oil change(no prep time)and its ready to race, and the thing only ran me $4K.
the parts are dirt cheap, just a VW, and the tires will be the used tires off my formula ford.
how could i say no?
next month i take it out.
i really need the practice in between the events that i am going to be running the Swift with. I committed to running in a series that is only 5 weekends/ year, and as great as they are, it just not enough tracktime for the year.
I am going to learn how to paint(with this thing), likely put some orange on the front of it, and take all the stupid graphics off of it of course.

its ugly, but it has an engine and wheels, so its all good.

it should be great practice for working with momentum driving, and racing techniques with other cars on track.
fishguy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Nice ride, fishguy!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
That's awesome. VW motors are sweet. 90HP out of a 1600 is pretty good!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Man, you got a heck of a deal on a FFST at $4K. Most of the ones I saw were $10K and up. What happened to downsizing so you could concentrate all the $$$ and time on the FF?!?!? :p

Post your thoughts on the FFST is when you get it on the track.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, you got a heck of a deal on a FFST at $4K. Most of the ones I saw were $10K and up. What happened to downsizing so you could concentrate all the $$$ and time on the FF?!?!? :p

Post your thoughts on the FFST is when you get it on the track.
$4K, how could I pass on it. it even had the pistons balanced.
this thing shouldnt cost anything to maintain, even in a crash(entire new front end is ~ $200 including calipers etc) , and the work between races is an oil change. nut and bolt the car and go.
not much time or $ for this thing
the Titan was such a nice car, but that car had to be cared for, this thing, not so much.
I figured if i dont like it, or its a pain in the arse, i can sell it for more than
$4K in a heartbeat.

we run the car with the local group here that runs FF cars on street tires( i used to run my swift in that group). the formula first being on slicks can keep up with them and even pass many of them on the street tires.
the best part is that the tires that come off my FF, will go right onto this car, so tires will even be "free'.
i will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Have fun with the heckriser Mr. Fishy. Could always change the name to silver bullet.
Slicks on a FV, it's going to take a while to grasp the concept.
Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
FST

Nice car, If you run in the Great Lakes division I will see you at the track. The SCCA run our groups together. I have to agree 4K is a steal.

Matthew

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice car, If you run in the Great Lakes division I will see you at the track. The SCCA run our groups together. I have to agree 4K is a steal.

Matthew
matthew,
the car wont be out with the SCCA. i have a license with them, but nobody runs formula cars out here in AZ with SCCA for some reason. there are usually 7 cars total in all classes combined.
Actually, the SCCA club out here seems to be a struggling for entries in the past year or so.
this car is only going to be used for practice(still racing) between my formula ford events with HSR west.
the local group here has about 5 formula first cars right now, and a guy builds these things locally, so there should be more.
the local group is very much grassroots racing. self tech, just run what you brung kind of deal, it where i crashed my Swift DB-1 when some a-hole dumped a ton of oil on track.
this is really just for track time between my series that i have committed to out here in the west with the swift DB-1.

the old owner of this car went bankrupt, and they needed to sell it fast, so i just said for $4K i will take it, i didnt really care either way.
amazingly,they said fine.
I agree, at $4K for an open wheel track car, how could i pass. if i hate it, i am sure i can move it quickly considering what i have in it, and the fact that its just volkwagen parts made me go for it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If someone were interested in buying something like this, where would be a good place to look?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Man oh man, what a deal. It'd almost make me think about it :) I doubt I'd fit though, since my shoulders almost touch the sides of the SRF cockpit which is pretty massive.

Aside from engine displacement and what appear to be larger tires, what are the differences between a First and a Vee?

Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
FST

If someone were interested in buying something like this, where would be a good place to look?
Your local SCCA region would have a web site, that would post used cars for sale. There are builders, the latest issue of SportsCar Magazine listed the current builders. Best way however to find a good used car is to go to a race and talk to the drivers. Your local drivers would know of sound cars in the area for sale,,,,and the ones to stay clear of.

Matthew

·
Registered
82 Posts
difference between FST & FV

Man oh man, what a deal. It'd almost make me think about it :) I doubt I'd fit though, since my shoulders almost touch the sides of the SRF cockpit which is pretty massive.

Aside from engine displacement and what appear to be larger tires, what are the differences between a First and a Vee?

Steve
FST was built by FV racers out of a need to modernize a bit to keep costs down. The 1200cc motor is getting a bit rare since very few production years used it, where the 1600 motor was built for a very long time. As you may know rare tends to cause things to get costly. If the 1200 motor in my FV blows it will most probably cause me to convert to FST. The cost of a good FV motor is much higher than one for FST. One of the big things about FST is they get to run disk brakes rather than drum. Many people believe tuning drum brakes borders on black magic. I find drum very easy to work on, but I have to admit good German drums are becoming harder to locate. The ones from south america are easy to get but are junk. FST also runs a spec tire. A rather hard compound that many say last a full season. In FV if your tires last more than a hand full of races,,,,you were not racing. FST also allows the car to be longer. Big guys (tall) that could not fit in a FV love the FST, also the added length tends to give the car a more modern look. There are other spec differences but these are the big ones.

Matthew

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Please post your impressions regarding the driving experience of the FFST vs. FF. For $4 K how can you go wrong? less than my kart! I'm deeply entrenched in F2000 for now, but certainly interested in other formula car experiences.
Keep representing the open-wheel faithful, brother!:clap:

·
Registered
494 Posts
thanks for the explanation...it's amazingly hard to get that concise a breakdown, even on the FV/FS message boards! (at least, not in their stickies)

Steve

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Steve
Steve,
i really dont know much about this stuff, i just figured the car would make a good ride for practice between my HSR west events and keep me sharp.

here is the best reference i could come up with as far as the differences, or whats needed to convert the FV to a formula first.

http://www.formulafirstracing.com/catalog/formulaveeconversion.php

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ian,
If you are serious about one of these cars, there is a guy here in town (AZ)who builds these. he actually built this car.
PM me and we can talk more if you like.
Fishguy

·
Registered
494 Posts
Aside from cockpit size, though, my wife was really unhappy about me racing open wheel cars, which was another reason I went the SRF route. They are really built like tanks (and, at 1670 with driver, ARE tanks, relatively speaking).

Steve

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
open cockpit cars are appealing, but open wheelers..........until you try one, you wont know that there is nothing like them.

i used to roadrace motorcycles for ~ 5 years. i always thought that nothing could compare to that thrill. i figured the open wheeler would be my best bet.

i have had some races where myself and the car just become one.

for example my first time ever on willow springs big track was this month;

the last race of the weekend i did out at willow springs in the swift was likely the most amazing experience i have ever had in my life. the speeds combined with my butt being a few inches off the ground, the g forces that the car could pull, and the track design just were all a combination that was unreal.
turn 2 was never ending. i could feel the car sliding all the way through, and feel the g forces for what seemed like forever, then let the corner unwind and set up for the climb up and down hill. turn 8-9 were so fast. actually turn 9 was the only time i felt that i had a slight seperation from the car when i kept scarring the crap out of myself by pushing harder through the corner after learning most of the rest of the track.
it felt like a roller coaster ride, except i was not attached to a rail and things were not predictable like a roller coaster. i tried learning the track watching a spec miata race on youtube..............yawn, .........and i used to think those were great fun too.

my race on sunday was 25 minutes, and i swear that when it was done, it felt like maybe 5 minutes had passed. I was "in the zone" , and now turn 9 now felt comfortable(as much as it ever will) and the corners just flow so nicely.
the open wheeler i will now say is better than the motorcycle roadracing in a different way. I guess because i can relax a bit more and make a small mistake w/o my body hitting the tarmac.

its been 2 weeks and i can still feel the excitment of the open wheel racing.

next stop in the formula ford is california speedway, until then, its going to be this little beater and the local group for my track weekends.
i am looking forward to seeing what this formula first can do. mid april is my first opportunity to test it out.

these cars are more addicting than anything you could imagine.
I dont know if thats a good thing or not, but for me, it too late.
if you ever get the chance to try one, do it!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts