The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've decided to try to help out the Univeristy of Washington, given the recent budget cuts and the fact that I am an MBA in the business school there.

Anyway, they have a team that builds a race car from scratch and then enter's it in a series of competitions. I thought that there might be some members of this board that may be able to help us with something. Given these are young people aspiring to do something each of us hold dearly.

They need to find a testing venue. Think big flat parking lot. They would bring the car down to the site on a weekend, set up a cone course similar to autox and test various settings and go through driver's training. Some of them are accomplished racers already (karting champion in Hawaii).

If any of you know of anyone that might have the ability to let them use some space, please send me a note. They have a relationship with the Tacoma Dome, and until recently Boeing. Unfortunately, Boeing needed the space back given the crazy work hours they were running with the 787 issues.

They have a pretty good system in place for doing this.

PM me here or email me

cobb dot trevor @ gmail dot com

Thanks guys,

Trevor

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Never thought I'd say this...

I guess my "car enthusiast" attitude outweighs my "I hate the Huskies" attitude.:evil: I wish the UW team luck!:shift:

**Bet you are glad to have football season over...-poke-:D

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Football loyalty rests squarely with the Army Team.

Go Black Knights!!

On the car note, yes, the car guys thing runs pretty deep with me too.

:shift:

I guess my "car enthusiast" attitude outweighs my "I hate the Huskies" attitude.:evil: I wish the UW team luck!:shift:

**Bet you are glad to have football season over...-poke-:D

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I built the body for our formula SAE car in college. What a fun competition!
Perhaps another better funded University is not too far away and you can do a practice event together. That's what we did.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
When I did this in college, we had like 6 local colleges hold a "practice" competition. But then again, I was in LA. Too bad my school was too small to put together a good team. Some of the bigger schools in the area had some amazing programs. The key is building a sturdy car quickly and practicing a lot. All the fancy aero in the world won't help if you don't have a good driver.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
yeah but some of those big schools had teams of like 50 people and corporations still built most their car for them. We had 6 active members so it did take 2 years to build our car. Then again good driver or not, they got hurt on the cost analysis portion.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I just wish our school did it as a club, not a senior project. I really wanted to be a part of it, but couldn't. Plus our school hasn't done well at competition since 01. Hell, we don't' even have the frame built yet.

Good luck to you guys, hope you do well.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The UW team has about 60 people. I'd make it about 61 I guess. I told them I wanted to be involved as I thought the MBA skills would be helpful to the undergrads. That may turn out to be true, but it seems they are much more interested in having me drive, which would be fun if my schedule permits it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Being a former Formula SAE team member, the best advice I can give is:
1) Study the winning cars from the last 5 to 10 years and improve upon those designs.
2) Work quickly to get a running car because seat time for your drivers will save more time on the track than a perfect body or CFD designed intake runners.
3) light weight means much more than a big aero package - you'll never go fast enough in the parking lot of the silverdome to really explote a low drag aero package.
4) Do not skimp on a wheel and suspension alignment. It always amazed me how many teams never bothered to do this step and then wondered why the car never drove well on the track.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I built the body for our formula SAE car in college. What a fun competition!
Perhaps another better funded University is not too far away and you can do a practice event together. That's what we did.
There are a few close to us, but we seem to be the better funded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts