The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying I am not a fan of the arcade racer genre. I've never enjoyed them and in general only play racing sims. I've played both the Project Gotham and Need For Speed series and while I understand why guys like them they just aren't for me. As a guy online just said "I don't really like playing real tracks, slamming into things is so much more fun". I disagree to say the least.

The Forza series are probably my favorite games of all time, or at least the one I've played the most. I've pre-ordered every one since Forza 2 (which came with my first Xbox) and have always looked forward to the releases. Horizon was no different but knowing it wasn't my beloved Forza sim racer my expectation were dimminished. I wasn't disappointed.

What I mean is, as expected I don't care for it. Yes, the graphics are amazing (while not a leap forward the environments are rather stunning) and yes there is a ton of world to explore. That however in my mind is Forza downfall as well - you wind up driving around endlessly looking for events to attend. Using the map is challenging (at least from a wheel controller) and trying to find events for specific cars is almost impossible. There are some fun things in free-roam like going through speed traps as fast as you can then having the game compare that to your friends. I'd be remiss if I didn't say I have a bit of a problem with this part of the game. While I don't believe violent games make you violent, teaching kids that acting this way while driving a car is a bit worse in my opinion. Much easier to carry this behavior to the real world as we don't usually carry M4-A1s around with us to be tempted by their use.

There are some mechanics in the game that are screwy - for example you only get a review mirror when using the cockpit view. Really? The cockpit view is rather stunning as the interiors are rendered in great detail but the view is rather limited. I generally use the nose view (or hood) but neither gives you a rear view mirror, sides or center. This is horribly frustrating while racing as you have no idea where the guy behind you is. Not a huge deal in single player but downright stupid in mulitplayer. I find that I use the nose view when just driving around but cockpit view when racing as I just have to have the rear view mirror.

And what a huge disappointment multiplayer is. My assumption (yes, you should not make those) was that while driving in the free-roam world you'd be driving around with other Xbox live players in a huge open world. Nope, not at all. You can join free-roam servers with up to 8 players (Forza 4 allows 16 player) but that gets old really quickly (or it did for me). When joining a race in progress (other than free-roam) you can not spectate - so you wind up sitting in the lobby doing nothing for the remainder of the race (up to 10 minutes). Far worse than Forza 4 where you can at least spectate and a far cry from the wonderful system that is Gran Turismo 5's multiplayer (where you can go lap with other cars until everyone is ready to start the race). One very nice addition is the Rental Garage - basically you can borrow anyone else's car that you're racing with. Fantastic. Unfortunately you can still only be a member of one car club. Really? Many of us are members of several (I think I'm a member of about 5).

Oh, look at that - another loading/waiting screen. They are everywhere. It feels like for every minute of racing time I get there are 3 minutes of doing something else. While the game starts fairly well by putting you into a race pretty much right away it's no where near the elegance and sophistication of Forza 4's open with Clarkson's narration. Given the genre of the game it is also surprising to me that you can't create/set any options for your driver. No look/name/brands, etc.

Finally in Forza we have varying conditions. From dirt to night we finally get some real changes. However the dirt driving is a disappointment compared to other rally games (Dirt for example) as it's just too easy. Night driving is pretty great with the backgrounds/moon extremely well detailed (the fireworks at the festival are great). The entire world is stunning even if it's a bit of a exaggeration of what Colorado roads really are (I'm a Colorado local). The mountains in the game are HUGE and it would have been cooler if they'd used some actual roads and/or road/town names in the game. They allude to areas (Red Rock) but should have been more specific in my book.

In closing my expectations were met - if you're a fan of the genre you're most likely going to love it, if you're not well you're not. My guess is I'll play it a few more days then trade it in or sell it. I'm sure it won't hold my interest.

Oh, and BTW I didn't realize there was any such thing as a "2006 Exige Cup 240" with the old school S1 interior. Had to Google that to be sure (they were UK only) There's only that, a 2011 Evora S and a 2009 211 in the game that I've seen so far.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's connect next week and I'll get it to you. Already fairly bored with it.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
In a way it sounds like the original Need for Speed 1 from the 90's, which had mostly open road races (point to point with traffic) but then had one closed course track... which I always ended up playing, because I'd rather work on my skill, rather than random mayhem..

Not much into multiplayer either, usually like to improve myself against the clock.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
Glad I didn't purchase Horizon! Like I said on a different thread, I hope this game allows the normal Forza to be the racing sim and Horizon can be the arcade for the general non car people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts