The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Found an Esprit at a dealer

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  theyoyomaster 
#1 ·
I saw a gorgeous black Esprit at Audi of Alexandria in VA. I didn't get that much info but it's a trade in with less than 5k miles. Talked to a guy named Mike Willis who was very helpful. If anyones interested the dealers number is 703-739-7479.

#4 ·
Can't remember if it was on this forum or another, but I think this is the car they were debating whether the amount of interior wear was consistent with the stated mileage....

#8 ·
Well the dealer didn't act like they knew the mileage was fraudulent but if anyone is interested in the car regardless but isn't local I can stop by and check out/photograph anything specific you're wondering about.

#10 ·
I looked in the window and didn't see much that struck me as odd. People may be talking about two similar but separate cars. Like I said, if anyone is interested it's right down the road so I can go get the answers to any questions people ask.

#11 ·
The pictures of the wear did not strike me as unusual. The side bolster is going to take a beating over that many years if the owner is large and/or careless about getting in and out, or if they enjoyed letting people sit in their car to experience an Esprit.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

#13 ·
I don't remember seeing that much wear but then again I didn't open the door. I'm wondering if they used some stock photos for their posting online. I'm out of town for the weekend but when I'm back I will pop over and take some detailed pictures.

#14 ·
Well if this is the same car noone ever looked all that hard for the service records, they pulled up the carfax and it looks like the mileage is legit. While it does appear to legitimately have 60XX on the clock (I started it up and that is what popped up) it isn't in the best of condition. It's a little difficult to completely dissect the history from the records but it appears to have been originally sold in 05 with 50 miles on the clock in MN. from there it popped up from time to around MN either being serviced or title updates. It then went to SC and on to VA. The mileage looks like it was legitimately put on it and noted in the history. Apparently the owner, or at least one of them, was military which would make sense with the locations it's been to and fits in since when you move you can get a car trailered to your new base. This is where the condition comes into play. It looks like it sat for very long periods of time, quite possibly outside. The paint isn't so good, the seats look heat baked the speakers are popping out from the glue. It's all cosmetic and I'm sure there are worse out there. Either way it is a very low mileage Esprit with the appropriate service records. If anyone is interested and wants any more specifics just let me know.

One thing I noticed in the pictures that really played into the mileage discrepancy was the brake pedal in their picture. This is the first thing I checked out and it isn't quite what it looks in that picture. The top of it has the finish worn off (remember, military so combat boots) but in the picture it looks like the metal itself is deteriorating. This isn't the case. This is my conclusion, while I checked everything the dealer didn't point anything out or offer any explanations but merely listened to what I said and let me check out anything I wanted.

#15 ·
It is just about impossible to drive an Esprit with combat boots!
Car appears to have issues, a sketchy history and poor care.

When I bought my first "sporty" car, an '85 MR 2 and didn't have a garage, I would put a car cover on it when I wasn't driving.

The point being that this car was not that we'll cared for, so being "low miles" is likely a negative or not real.

It certainly isn't worth a premium.

Randy

#17 ·
Driving it in boots is probably about the same as driving my Elise. I pretty much learned to heel toe just so I could differentiate pedals and brake without blipping the throttle.

The car isnt in perfect condition and certainly not worth a premium but if you want a slightly discounted Esprit to work on and nurse back to decent health this would be a prime candidate.

Good sleuthing. However, the carfax may be misleading too. All it shows is the mileage that was recorded when the current owner took posession. It has no service records which would help confirm if the mileage is accurate. A big benefit of service records is that it records dates and mileage. There is no service records or documentation for this car at all. In fact, the dealer claims he contacted the previous owner and that he did all of the service himself but has no reciepts, parts, etc. Sounds like he's pretty astute and adept, right? However this does not jive with the fact he doesn't know what the BLITZ boost controller installed in his car does or how to use it? Hmmmm.....fishy. Then the fact that the dealer told me the interior was a 9 out of 10 and showed like new until I asked for detailed pictures of the pedals, bolster and center console. Truthfully, whether the mileage is legit or not, I don't believe this car has ever had any service done to it, has been left outside most of it's life, and is a crap shoot. With a boost controller who knows the condition of the engine and tranny. Maybe that's why he traded it into an Audi dealer so it's not his problem if the new owner is unhappy. No thanks for me......

It does have service records but it appears that the most recent driver did his own service. Since I drive an N/A Elise I didn't even know what the BLITZ thing was, either way I never said this car was immaculate but since you see 1 Esprit for every 10 Elises and I know many people who have never seen an Elise I think it would count as a good starting point for someone who had their heart set on an Esprit.

#16 ·
Good sleuthing. However, the carfax may be misleading too. All it shows is the mileage that was recorded when the current owner took posession. It has no service records which would help confirm if the mileage is accurate. A big benefit of service records is that it records dates and mileage. There is no service records or documentation for this car at all. In fact, the dealer claims he contacted the previous owner and that he did all of the service himself but has no reciepts, parts, etc. Sounds like he's pretty astute and adept, right? However this does not jive with the fact he doesn't know what the BLITZ boost controller installed in his car does or how to use it? Hmmmm.....fishy. Then the fact that the dealer told me the interior was a 9 out of 10 and showed like new until I asked for detailed pictures of the pedals, bolster and center console. Truthfully, whether the mileage is legit or not, I don't believe this car has ever had any service done to it, has been left outside most of it's life, and is a crap shoot. With a boost controller who knows the condition of the engine and tranny. Maybe that's why he traded it into an Audi dealer so it's not his problem if the new owner is unhappy. No thanks for me......

#18 ·
I also remember this car being on EBAY for a long time by the original owner, I remember the little Italian flag decal on the back. it clearly looked like a 10 footer then and seemed heavily modified as I recall the owner bragging of its HP numbers.

Just unfortunately not a great example of our cars.

#19 ·
I'm not an Esprit man, I was a bit excited since I can't remember seeing any from this generation before. Either way it was fun to see one and a decent lesson in what to look for in the future. Regardless I hope it goes to a good home that takes better care of it than its old one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.