The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this has happened on 2 cars mine was one. I had a clank I would hear from the front suspension. it wasn't consistent on the track it would happen every 4 or 5 laps. it wasn't the steering rack it's the nut on the lower ball joint coming louse. if you don't catch it early it will ruin the hub support by making the hole oval. if the nut comes off the wheel will collapse and its all over 911 time. I nut and bolt my car after every track day and never checked the lower ball joints. if you jack up your car and grab the bottom of the wheel and push it back and forth there should be no play. even if there is no play still check all 8 ball joint nuts (19mm). both times its been on the drivers side . carl

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. IIRC I think I check this bolt with an open end 19mm wrench and it is very dificult to get to. I just make sure it is tight enough since getting a torque wrench on it requires disassembly.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
+1

I checked mine, and although none were loose, all four ball joints were undertorqued (like, about 10 ft-lbs).

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. IIRC I think I check this bolt with an open end 19mm wrench and it is very dificult to get to. I just make sure it is tight enough since getting a torque wrench on it requires disassembly.
You can get a 19mm box on it dont use a open end. carl

·
Registered
431 Posts
It goes without saying, ALWAYS inspect your cars before going to the track and this applies to ANY car...good call Carl :up:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Carl, where are these 8 ball joint nuts you are talking about? I'm hearing clunks in the front and trying to figure out where these 8 nuts are. I see lots of nutes that are 17mm but not 19mm

thanks

this has happened on 2 cars mine was one. I had a clank I would hear from the front suspension. it wasn't consistent on the track it would happen every 4 or 5 laps. it wasn't the steering rack it's the nut on the lower ball joint coming louse. if you don't catch it early it will ruin the hub support by making the hole oval. if the nut comes off the wheel will collapse and its all over 911 time. I nut and bolt my car after every track day and never checked the lower ball joints. if you jack up your car and grab the bottom of the wheel and push it back and forth there should be no play. even if there is no play still check all 8 ball joint nuts (19mm). both times its been on the drivers side . carl

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there are 8 ball joints 4 f and 4 rear . the nut that connects the ball joint to the suspension is 19mm. it's behind the brake rotor at 6 & 12 oclock. i'd post the pdf but i dont know how. carl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts