The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been planning to trim down what is left of my windshield surround frame. Having a polycarbonate windscreen means that it no longer supports much weight(top of the Speedglass is supported by the roll cage)and doesn't support the dash face piece at all anymore. I trimmed off each end piece(heavy dash support lumps) and about 2/3's off the bottom below the windshield(approx -10lbs). I was then able to remove all of the rest of the heater plenum that is bonded and riveted to the the top of the inner dash structure(7-8lbs).
One of the things that is ironic is that I will now have a heater w/o a heater as you know it. The front of the car is usually awash in warm to hot air coming off the top of the radiator. This warm air is readily available to duct where you wish. Once you remove the heater plenum from the inner dash structure there is a little plastic heater duct remaining that directs air to the foowell. Once I partition off the front of the car with a thin layer of aluminum sheet I will make a slide/gate valve that can be opened to any degree I wish in order to send heated air to the footwell areas. This heater will work more efficiently and faster than the stock unit. Sort of like an early Porsche heater but w/o the fumes:D.
Here is a picture of the little plastic duct that sends air to the footwells. If you look through the right hand hole you can see the footwell partition.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a shot of the lower windshield support structure before finishing. I will coat the exposed foam core with resin and possibly some chopped strand mat to seal it up again. The square structure to the left is the top of the pedal box.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Elise has a heater? It's rumored to also have an airconditioner. :)
Part of the rerason why I removed mine in the first place.
I remember driving the car home from work late at night and having condensation form on the outside of the windscreen when the thermostat openedrotfl The defroster did nothing to help of course...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Perry.. The car is losing so much weight.. What about you? That would make the car lighter :D

JK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts