The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the fuse box under the passenger side cover and found the antenna cable. There is a connector just below the fuse box and the wire runs under the center of the clam to the front of the car. I found this out too late as I installed HID lights. The lights interfere with my fm reception. Oh well most of the time I cant hear the radio anyway.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
What is different about HID lights that interferes with reception? (Aside from higher voltage and associated increase in E&M field magnitude.)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that it may be the power supply which converts 12 v dc to 25000 v ac.

I did order a small antenna and fm signal booster which i am going to mount by the fuse box and see if this improves reception.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The power supply is probably a switcher. They usually operate at a few hundred KHz switching frequency, but, when unfiltered, can produce broadband noise. You could put low pass filters right at the output, and possibly input, of the HID power supply which should reduce the noise picked up by the radio.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
fm reception

hi,
i just picked up my 2002 Jaguar Xtype car (i am finishing off the remaining 1yr on the 3 yr lease). I put the FM radio on and got great reception, but whenever i put the rear defroster ON, the radio signal is gone and all i hear is static. Anyone know how to fix?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pardon my ignorance. Exactly where do you get a low pass filter and how do I install it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts