The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
but it's BLACK. I looked at BWR hoping I could find the plain aluminum one - but no luck. Isn't someone selling a plain aluminum plate or am i stuck buying the the Difflow and stripping it down & anodizing it? I saw a plain aluminum one on the BOE site, installed on a car, so I was thinking, hoping, Phil didn't fab it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Or, plan B. Black powdercoat your existing diffuser to match. Considering how many black accents the Elise already has, a black diffuser may look better than silver.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hadn't thought of that...
just emailed Difflo & asked them if they could give me an uncoated, but anodized piece.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I always thought that someone should make a piece that covers this hole but from the outside, essentially a new central diffuser element with a flat section in the middle that runs the length of the diffuser and bolts on using the existing bolts for the stock diffuser, but then has a set of vanes matching the stock vanes on each side. This would give you a six-vane stock styled difuser without the exhaust hole. Difflow should take that idea and make some for the above difuser exhaust guys.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
JWA,
I hate it when someone comes up with a brilliant idea, which did not even occur to me. All joking aside, I am now hoping some aftermarket company picks up on your idea; it is a very good one.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,064 Posts
I always thought that someone should make a piece that covers this hole but from the outside, essentially a new central diffuser element with a flat section in the middle that runs the length of the diffuser and bolts on using the existing bolts for the stock diffuser, but then has a set of vanes matching the stock vanes on each side. This would give you a six-vane stock styled difuser without the exhaust hole. Difflow should take that idea and make some for the above difuser exhaust guys.
Ha! Ask Phil @ BOE about this. I made a cardboard mockup of the exact same thing back in 2007 and txt'd the pix to him. He thought it was a great idea but that my fabrication skillz needed some work ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This is a great idea. Someone should do this!

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Thanks. I mentioned it to Sector111 back in '05 and then to Thomas from RLS a while after that, but nothing ever came of it as neither were really in that business. Seems like a product that Difflow is perfectly set up to make.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I think I understand.

We can do it, but it would be hard to make the center piece stay flush and flat against the diffuser in the back where it bends. People would have to rivet/bolt it on in more places than just the slots in the rear/front to keep it from rattling. Fins would also have to be the same height as the OEM outer fins, and that's not super aggressive... might be cheaper to just buy the 5 element original we offer and get the whole thing upgraded.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Ask Phil @ BOE about this. I made a cardboard mockup of the exact same thing back in 2007 and txt'd the pix to him. He thought it was a great idea but that my fabrication skillz needed some work ;)
Thanks david,
I used your post as official license to bother Phil....:)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think I understand.

We can do it, but it would be hard to make the center piece stay flush and flat against the diffuser in the back where it bends. People would have to rivet/bolt it on in more places than just the slots in the rear/front to keep it from rattling. Fins would also have to be the same height as the OEM outer fins, and that's not super aggressive... might be cheaper to just buy the 5 element original we offer and get the whole thing upgraded.
The S111 cover plate requires riveting/bolting on anyways. I don't think that would be a huge issue for the end user to have to rivet the thing on in a few places.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Perhaps one of our LotusTalk CF freaks will consider making this part, seeing how the big-dawgs don't want to play in this pond.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hell - they don't even want to give me a bare aluminum part.:)
I'll probably buy the difflow black one, and have to spend a hundred bucks getting it soda blasted and anodized. Or maybe Phil made an extra. I saw a bare aluminum cover on one of his cars...
Wait a minute - this could be justification for me to buy a media blaster! And a metal brake....and some aluminum...and some computer modeling software...and some wind tunnel time...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
This is a great idea. Someone should do this!
I made one a couple months ago. I'll try to get some pics up soon. I'm sending from my phone right now. Edit: here they are.

The aluminum is the same gauge as stock. I put a little high temp RTV between the parts before riveting. It's hard to see but I also peened down the factory rivets that stick out from the curved side elements. I'm sure it would be better if the leading edge were flush, but that will be a ripple in the hurricane of drag caused by the other features of the diffuser. It's certainly better than having a huge hole with an exhaust tip hanging down in the airflow. Note that the factory paint has cooked off in the vicinity of the cat (stock catalyst).

IMAG9083.jpg

I painted it all with high temp black. So far it's held up fine through one track day. It's not nearly as light gray as the picture makes it seem, but I'll probably repaint or powdercoat at a later date. I also added some of the same edge trim to the two new fins.

1340374531172.jpg

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts