The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Well, I read the following article... okay, breezed through it, as it was quite apparent the writer doesn't know much about cars, and I have no idea why a couple of the stupidly ugly modern cars would be worth much, but he was smart enough to put the Elise in there...

Future collectors: 5 cars to buy now | Fox News
Well, I'm admittedly biased as I've owned 3 of the 5 cars on the list: Solstice Coupe, Crossfire, Elise (as well as two Exiges).

I don't consider the Solstice Coupe ugly at all, in fact I preferred its styling over my Exige (owned both at the same time). It got the same level of attention/pictures taken, etc. as my Elige did everywhere I took it.

It suffered from the same 'parts bin' build quality as the convertible...they were $20K cars and were screwed together as such. BUT they were legit sports cars. For a couple of years they dominated T2 in the SCCA, same class the NA Elise ran in.

And the Coupe is very rare, about the same number as Exige in the U.S.

For the Crossfire I was mixed on it's looks. I REALLY liked the rear end (Solstice's rear is very similar). I really didn't care for the front end, and the hood strakes looked like a dish drainer.

What I liked about the styling of the Xfire and Sol was their similar rear ends, which to me resembled that of the Bill Thomas Cheetah race car from the 60's.

The Crossfire was American in name only. Body was built in Germany by Karmann, as the article said the under pinnings were all Mercedes. Wasn't built in the U.S. Most of the interior parts could be swapped out with Mercedes SLK interior parts.

Interior was very nice, it was comfortable, the N/A was reasonably quick and the supercharged SRT was nearly a muscle car.

It's road holding was impressive, and magazine tests at the time bore that out. It's shortcoming was in steering 'feel,' as it used recirculating ball rather than rack and pinion steering.

I've never driven the Boss 302, but it has generally been raved about in most tests and reviews.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was considering the Solstice coupe (still am actually). I think the coupe looks great and like previously mentioned, they're pretty rare in general, but if you decide to go for a GXP and in manual, that's like the holy grail (depending on who you're talking to). I think it's an awesome car for what it is, but don't think people will pay a collector's premium for it any time soon.

Not including the 987 Boxster Spyder, E86 M coupe, or BMW 1M on this list is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The Elise often comes up in talk like this.

if you bought a new Lotus Elise today for its sticker price of $39,985 and then sold it in three years, the person looking to buy it from you might have to pay $46,000 for a new one, so even your original price of $39,985 would look like a discount to the buyer.
- katZ

REF - Best Resale Value - 2005 Sports Cars - Cars.com

they go on to say
But like the Ferrari 360 Spider, Elises are currently selling with big markups, so you would still end up losing money.
I have noticed that. Always better buying from the forum here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts