The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this story... I'm not sure if it is posted here yet.

Pocket rockets - four tiny cars that go really fast | Fox News

As Americans, we’re used to our performance cars coming in relatively large packages— Tire-smoking muscle cars with big-block engines that proved there really was no substitute for cubic inches and no replacement for displacement. Or was there? The cars on this list are all diminutive, yet an off-the-chart power to weight ratio means they have performance to match far bigger supercars.

1. 2005-? Lotus Elise

The Pug Father

No list of great pocket rockets would be complete without a Lotus. Lotus Founder Colin Chapman’s mantra was speed through extremely light weight. The Elise’s sub-2,000-pound weight, combined with a 189 hp Toyota-sourced engine, made it good for 0-60 in about 4.7 seconds. The Elise’s super sharp handling and communicative steering make it one of the best driver’s cars on the planet, assuming you can fit in it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No reason to switch channels

Why is it that this Fox News item to me sounds so Fox Olds ... It doesn't tell me anything new that I didn't know already (not subscribing to their channel, but rather have an Elise as a daily ride)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why is it that this Fox News item to me sounds so Fox Olds ...
Maybe because you're not their target audience.
They're just trying to educate folks who bought the latest base Mustang thinking they now own a sport car...

I was not expecting anything from that list, but I'm surprised the R5 Turbo is listed in there, considering it never really made it to US.
I would trade my Elise for one of those in a heart beat, no regret.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Maybe because you're not their target audience.
They're just trying to educate folks who bought the latest base Mustang thinking they now own a sport car...

I was not expecting anything from that list, but I'm surprised the R5 Turbo is listed in there, considering it never really made it to US.
I would trade my Elise for one of those in a heart beat, no regret.
Years ago at the Chicago British car show I saw one:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Years ago at the Chicago British car show I saw one:

Ah, THAT car. I know it WELL! The shop that restored my Moke also works on that car and it was in the bay next to my Moke for an entire winter. Man, cool car.

Side note - the owner is a cool hippie-ish looking guy. He and his wife have MULTIPLE Renaults. He often shows up (with her in another one) at Supercar Saturdays. I don't have the exact pics on this computer, but he comes with:

- Pale yellow well-patina'd Alpina A110:

- This is his white Alpine A310

- And his wife drives a black Fuego turbo:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
BTW, it's a REALLY cool article. Short, but any article that mentions the Elise, a Griffith, a Panoz AIV and a Renault R5 is cool by me.

BTW, I seriously considered a Panoz AIV when I lost my first Elise. Buddy had one (and now has a Panoz Esperante). Cool stuff and apparently, his car was previously owned by Steven Tyler (not Jon Voigt!!).

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm surprised that someone knowledgeable enough to compile that list would assume that you have to be small to fit in an Elise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts