The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant tell from the pics but it looks like there are hints of "clamshell" construction. I lways thoght the extremely fragile bodywork of the elise was required to keep the weight so low. I think this will be a major issue for the new car if carries over. Its hard to sell a car as practical if you cant park it anywhere due to fear and minor fender bender guarentees a total.

Do you guys think the fragility will carry over? If so shouldent the weight be Much lower than projected estimates? The Cayman is mostly steel and less than 3klbs.......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Possible that the clams will be thicker (like they were on the VX220/Opel Speedster) which are a bit stronger.

But I doubt a new clam on this car would require it to be totalled by the insurer. It's a 50k car by and large whereas a clam/painting/fitting costs about, what, $5k in the US?

I thought they were going to be carbon fibre. I'm sure I heard some Lotus bod say that advances in CF recently make it almost as cheap as fibre glass to mass produce. Maybe I imagined it :(

Lotus describe them as "composite" though so maybe there is more going on here than just plain old fashioned fibre glass.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Those may be deformable eurathane bumpers on the front and rear - like a Corvette or Camaro and most other cars have. I would hope Lotus went to this with a normal bumper underneath that.

I see hints of the 90's Elan in the front and it was made that way with a eurathane/ plastic bumper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts