The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am losing sleep, as you can tell. I will be picking up my Lotus in several hours and am considering backing out of the deal because I do not know who I can turn to for repairs. Its an 05 Storm Titanium / Bordeaux, Touring Package, hardtop, under 4K on the odo. There is no dealer here in Cincinnati, fortunately I am mechanically inclined but.....................

Who can check it when it throws a CEL? Its those routine issues I'm trying to deal with. What is needed to do so? Probably should have checked this out before but the vehicle is what I've been searching for, phenomenal to drive but the lack of a support mechanism locally is making me a bit apprehensive. Advice please.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Well, all I can tell you after three years of ownership is that if there were a single dealer located somewhere in the continental United States, I'd look forward to the occasional drive for service.

Midwestern Auto Group (not familiar with them) appears to be ~100 miles from you...

Midwestern Auto Group
6335 Perimeter Loop Rd.
Dublin, Ohio 43017
Phone: 614-889-2571
Fax: 614-793-7971

Not too bad for the occasional service. I've never had a CEL, but I'd pick up a code reader if you're concerned. Are you planning on tracking the car? If not, a yearly visit should suffice. If you're putting on mileage and need to do oil changes in between, you can either do them yourself, or visit a local qualified mechanic.

The car is - in most cases - remarkably reliable. Just make sure the car you're looking at has had its 1000 mile service. I'd go for it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I am losing sleep, as you can tell. I will be picking up my Lotus in several hours and am considering backing out of the deal because I do not know who I can turn to for repairs. Its an 05 Storm Titanium / Bordeaux, Touring Package, hardtop, under 4K on the odo. There is no dealer here in Cincinnati, fortunately I am mechanically inclined but.....................

Who can check it when it throws a CEL? Its those routine issues I'm trying to deal with. What is needed to do so? Probably should have checked this out before but the vehicle is what I've been searching for, phenomenal to drive but the lack of a support mechanism locally is making me a bit apprehensive. Advice please.
It's a Toyota engine and drive line... Easy to get parts for and easy to repair by any decent mechanic. The body is Fiberglass and any body shop can fix fiber. You can buy a OBDII code reader off ebay for a $100 or so Don't sweat it, it's not a Ferrari...

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
Well, all I can tell you after three years of ownership is that if there were a single dealer located somewhere in the continental United States, I'd look forward to the occasional drive for service.

Midwestern Auto Group (not familiar with them) appears to be ~100 miles from you...

+++1

I live 200 miles from the nearest dealer.

From time to time it can be an inconvenience.

I've had my '06 Elise since March '08.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. :evil: :shift: :clap: :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
When I bought my car the nearest dealer was over a 5 hour drive away. Now I have one much closer.....only 150 miles. Never been a problem, don't worry about it. As long as the car does not have engine mods it should not be any trouble. If you do have something you can't fix, post here and there will be lots of people willing to help!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

GO BACK TO BED AND GET LAID.........YOU FEEL LIKE A MAN THEN

:sheep:

AFTER SEX -- YOU KNOW, YOU WILL ALWAY FALL A SLEEP

THEN WHEN YOU WAKE UP YOU'LL FEEL SOOOOOoooooo good that you get the LOTUS and be very very very happy

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Auto Europe( where I bought my car and who I consider to be the best Lotus guys in the USA) is like 4 hours from me...Pittsburgh and Cleveland dealer about the same.

I change my oil...and do routine maintainance. I drive there about once a year to have Charles work on my car.

I also would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've only been skulking around here for a short time and shamefully never read the uberpost. I am almost embarrassed to say I walked from the deal this morning. There was just something about it that didn't sit right and it dawned on me when the sales manager stated the trade in they offered on my R32 was not enough for what I had in it and he was right. Close but no cigar, I felt I would be more disappointed giving the R away than I would letting this Elise go...I was right. With that said, thank you all for the encouragement and recognizing what was zooming through my head but, I have made a last attempt to try and sell the dealer on a bit more for my car. Keeping my fingers crossed and anything else that crosses. After spending time with this Elise it is the first car that could happily replace the R for me. If not this one, there will be others and I may have the R privately sold by then.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dang, R32's are going for well under 10k here in Japan and most have rust holes you can put your fist threw. Are they still going for crazy Fast and the Furious $ in the USA? I know they were charging a arm and a leg, one kidney and your left testicle to import them back in the day....

·
Banned
874 Posts
what state/area do you live in? I could come and do a quick free inspection if ur closeby.

·
Registered
37 Posts
$250 gets you an OBD-II tool and you can read your own codes with a laptop. Trivial. Buy the car. Dealers labor rates suck anyway.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Heck, I picked up an 3100 Equus/Innova OBDII Scanner at Kragen for $99 after rebate. This one displays the code and meaning right on the reader.

Basically, do what you can to buy the car...as your reasons are not valid enough to stop most people who are passionate about Lotus. :D

On the other hand, it sounds like you might be on a shoestring budget...so maybe pay off as much as you can on the VW and save some dough for when another opportunity comes along. By then it will be all the more satisfying.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Midwestern Auto Group
6335 Perimeter Loop Rd.
Dublin, Ohio 43017
Phone: 614-889-2571
Fax: 614-793-7971
Worst place ever. Run, don't walk, outta that service bay.

If you do decide to choose MAG, take some vaseline, your patience, and be prepared to be talked to like you came in with blonde hair, wearing a diaper and drooling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To all:

Dragon: R's are still holding excellent resale $$ here, even higher mileage examples. What is in the air over there for fist sized rust holes!?

Certified CC: Cincinnati OH

Mr. Know: Nope, the R was paid for out of showroom, day one. Original owner. The issue was simply not enough for an excellent example of the car. I will just be patient and sell it outright.

Red Menace: I know MAG, enough said. If I wasn't mechanically savvy I wouldn't be looking at the Elise.

It simply boiled down to a combination of near uncontrollable desire to get one, not taking the time to read uberpost and a near low ball on the trade in. Now that I'm 60 it takes a bit more to make me jump as opposed to 30, when pulling the trigger was done first. I've owned Alfas for over 30 years and I had the same apprehension back in the 70's when I bought my first GTV. Hell, I tried to sell it the Monday after I bought it, that motor looked gorgeous but unlike anything I had ever seen from Triumph, Austin Healey and others. But no one called and I have taken care of that Alfa and several others to this day, minus dealers and local parts sources. I was not fully prepared to buy, I am now and have made a last attempt with the dealer. If its gone or he doesn't concur with my offer...no biggie. Thanks to this forum, your responses and uberpost the next good one is mine. I think I will look for an 06 over the 05. Is there anyplace I can find a breakdown of what these option packages are? Theres one in Lexington KY with manual windows, I had no idea this was available. I was attracted to the Elise because of my admiration for Lotus in general, the perceived engine/transmission reliability, the philosophy behind their design (which I really felt after driving the square cannonball to the dealer and taking the Lotus for only 45 minutes), and it doesn't come with a plethora of GD drivers aids! I am ready, I will be patient. Oh, and my fav independent tech here is able to do any OBD and willing to take on assisting me in my care for this baby. I've gone from :confused: to :eek: and finally :clap::D Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good luck with your search for a different car. We could use a few more Elises here in Cincinnati! I had similar thoughts when I purchased my car a few months ago, but I purchased a car near Detroit and had Auto Europe inspect my car prior to the purchase and drive back to Cincinnati. The inspection by a Lotus Dealer with a good reputation gave me great piece of mind. So far no problems at all (knock on wood).

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Dang, R32's are going for well under 10k here in Japan and most have rust holes you can put your fist threw. Are they still going for crazy Fast and the Furious $ in the USA? I know they were charging a arm and a leg, one kidney and your left testicle to import them back in the day....
I assume he meant the VW R32 not the Nissan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts