The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some of you may be interested in my dash mounted 12v power outlet. New panel insert was made to fill the small shelf area to the left of the steering wheel. Panel matches surrounding dash and has a flush mounted outlet with cover. Securing is by clips and double sided tape. Wiring is tapped into the under dash fuse block and switches with the ignition, not, "on" all the time like the rear outlet. There were no holes to drill, or any mods that can't be reversed. Now front mounted accessories can be powered so much easier, without the risk of draining the battery or wires draped from back to front.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I like it. 3 questions: Did you use a "tap a fuse?" Which fuse did you use? and out of what material did you make the blanking panel?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used a "tap fuse" off of C2
Panel made from polycarbonate
Outlet is meant for low amperage items, like radar detectors, etc.

I like it. 3 questions: Did you use a "tap a fuse?" Which fuse did you use? and out of what material did you make the blanking panel?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sweeet! A way to run GPS and such without having wires running helter skelter. I like it! Any thoughts on working up a small kit for it?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you like it, certainly has made things easier for me.
I certainly could put together a few kits if there was interest, however there is quite a bit of work that goes into shaping the panel to conform to the existing dash surround. I wanted it to look like it was meant to be there and not an after thought or add on. I use virtually unbreakable polycarbonate which works better than cheaper materials I tried (and I did try many), and a special scratch resistant paint that is formulated for plastics.

Sweeet! A way to run GPS and such without having wires running helter skelter. I like it! Any thoughts on working up a small kit for it?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Scottyb came up with an elegant approach for this on his original car a few years ago. He used a second switch cover panel to replace the blank panel on the passenger side. Where the start button would have been, he wired up an aux 12v outlet. And the light switchgear could be used for other things, such as a hardwired garage door opener.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Scottyb came up with an elegant approach for this on his original car a few years ago. He used a second switch cover panel to replace the blank panel on the passenger side. Where the start button would have been, he wired up an aux 12v outlet. And the light switchgear could be used for other things, such as a hardwired garage door opener.
I like that Idea. He got the part for the drivers and it's can be used on both sides.
BTW I have a panel to cover my stereo/bluetooth/usb-mp3 adapter on the left pocket and used velcro with trim adhesive to secure it. Earlier tried double sided tape but heat seems to keep the tape from staying put onto the aluminum so I ended up using the trim adhesive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts