The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a guy who had this "kit" in the garage. He had replaced it with fancy AP racing set up from one of the big vendors. It was cheap enough that I could almost call it an experiment and not feel too bad if it did not work out.

The rotors are ~ 13" X 1.25" thick - LARGE 2 piece.
The center hat installs Over the hub instead of behind as stock rotors do. Not ideal because it pushes the wheels out a little. Would not be an issue but I have huge wide wheels so it makes them rub at lock.
The calipers are 4 pot made by Outlaw. They do dirt track and minor league Nascar stuff.

I Just took it for a first drive tonight. The great news? Its completely invisible on the street. I can tell I changed anything except for a slightly softer pedal. Which may just be some air left. I need to do another bleed.

Cons:
Changes wheel offset
The calipers are lug mount instead of radial mount so the caliper adapter bracket is a compromise. But its very beefy
I am not sure how I would replace a rotor, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
I gotta do something on the back!!

Pros
Way bigger than stock
Significantly lighter than stock
Feels OEM on my quick test drive
Fits under 17" wheels.
Had an excuse to install wheel studs and open lug nuts - much better!
Now that I know my way around this upgrade I am going to keep an eye out for some used radial mount racing calipers. And I am going to have a buddy make some new hats for the rotors to mount them in the stock location behind the hubs.....unless I get a deal on some V8 hubs that are thinner and correct the wheel offset.

Just a bit more sorting and I will be ready to do some track days in the spring!

IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2380.JPG IMG_2385.JPG IMG_2384.JPG IMG_2383.JPG

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just occurred to me that the slightly soft pedal could be that I need to turn down the brake booster assist. Fortunately can do that with the ABS delete system. Have to try that.

I wonder if there are any steering rack limiter blocks available that bolt on and limit how far you can turn the wheel so the tires dont scrub the wheel well? Have to research that.

I realized that the idea of using the Brembo brake hub to move the wheel back to stock offset will require moving the caliper back a similar amount. Not an easy change. Back to the drawing board.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts