·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From yesterday's event at Laguna.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
When you get it torn down and determine the cause of failure (and/or) failure mode, report here what you’ve found out/learned…I’d like to know…I’m sure others here too would like to know.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I got about 3/4 of the video after waiting 20 mins for it to load (great internet huh?!) Once the brakes failed, did he run the gears at least to help slow down??
I learned running manual trans on big trucks on the farm. 10 and 13 speed. When your sitting really heavy the brakes aren't going to do a bit of good without grabbing gears. Panic stop?... well whatever is in the way is getting run over.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Phew, nice save! -eek-

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Probably should reinstall your faceshield in case you have another off in the gravel. Quite lucky some of that didn't pelt you.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
wow, close call :eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
No time for downshifting in that corner. Usually carry speed deep into it and brake hard. Good save! Must be handbrake and the gravel, eh?
Love to hear what caused it, after you get your undies and race suit cleaned...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
wow talk about a close call!! I can actually still remember laguna seca in GT3.... Hardest course out there!!

Glad you and your car didnt get hurt

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I can't tell from the video, was it ICE mode or did the brake pedal go to the floor? I have experienced ICE mode once, but had an alternative direction to swerve.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to slow somewhat from the rear brakes; did not ebrake. I'd already downshifted to at least 3rd, maybe second, I'd have to check. No problem re undies.

The calipers are being torn down this week, and we're replacing the stock pistons with stainless steel ones.

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
It does seem that the brakes worked perfectly at Turn 11 (prior to the straight). Do you remember if they took a bit more work to stop, or the car pulled to one side while braking (piston seized?) at Turn 11?

Any chance of a brake booster failure?

·
Registered
746 Posts
This is no booster failure, nor really anything wrong mechanically. T11 is a hard braking zone, puts a lot of heat into the pads, and that slowly conducts through the aluminum piston and boils the fluid as you go down the straight. It's happened to me too, and also several times at T14 at Thunderhill, scary as hell. Rear brakes do little to help if there's an air bubble in the front, because the pressure is shared across all four brakes, so loss of pressure in one due to boiling gases is loss of pressure in all. The only way to fix this is to prevent so much heat from going into the fluid. Once I went with BoE's stainless steel pistons, this problem went away. The brakes on this car are borderline with stock power once you become a fast driver. If you add a little more power, or brake a tiny bit too much (versus scrubbing via corner entry), you'll overpower them.

The driver who posted the video is freaking fast, and I aspire to drive like him one day, so I think he simply outgrew the stock brakes.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have taken to tapping up brakes on long straights to check for fade and make sure I have a firm pedal.

Lost brakes in an MX-5 Cup practice session due to pad kickback into Canada Corner a few years back and was not so lucky - all the way through the trap and into the tire wall. I am a believer in tapping up brakes now!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Holly Crap......I thought for sure you were gonna get friendy with that tire wall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts