The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a stock S4s with Brembos brakes. And yes the ABS system with it. I also have the larger diameter Nova rims.
Anyway, I'd like to increase the stopping distance on the car and wondered if I could just replace the rotors and pads on the front only? Really didn't want deal with the ebrake attachment on the rear although one could at least get upgraded pads.
I'm thinking going with PMN.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did you mean decrease stopping distance? :)

I looked at the PNM kits a lot. I am pretty sure the front Brembo upgrade kits they sell are designed to work with stock rears or with upgraded rears. That allows you to upgrade in steps. I would check with them to verify. The balance will change a little but you would only notice on a race track hopefully.

The real issue......I ditched the Delco Moraine first and the whole braking experienced changed. I think I know exactly what you are talking about with the stopping distance feeling. Even though my car had the Toyota brakes. The stock brakes were great with the delete.

I am 97 percent sure you would be delighted with the stock Brembos if you changed out the ABS, unless you are doing heavy track work.

Reality check.....on an S4S i would be worried about diminishing the value with ABS delete.

Changing rotors and calipers is much less invasive than the ABS delete and I would not worry about the value, but its not cheap. In the end I am not sure the brake experience would be what you were hoping if the ABS stays. I wonder if you could find an Esprit with the brake kit and drive it to see if it delivered the experience? There are some folks on here with upgraded brakes, maybe they have some thoughts.

The "right" way to change the ABS on your car with out diminishing value would be to swap in a complete later V8 master cylinder and booster with the 4 channel ABS. Expensive and kind of kind of complicated.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The quickest and cheapest option is to just try different pads. That may get you what you are looking for. All other options are a LOT more expensive.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I meant decrease stopping distance.
I'll look into PNM at least for the front.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Another thing you could do is check out the brake system and the ABS to make sure it is functioning correctly and as it should. If your pressure switch or accumulator isn't working right the whole ABS/Brake system won't work or feel right. Unfortunately the pressure switch and the accumulator are the things most likely to be faulty and they are not easy to replace. Exact replacement parts are NLA. Before replacing the front pads you should scuff up the rotors to expose fresh metal in case the rotors are glazed. No need to have them cut, just get a 3" pad with #80 grit mounted on a drill and scuff in a circular pattern. Also make sure the pistons are not stuck. If you haven't been flushing the brake fluid regularly the pistons could have corroded and seized up in the caliper. Is the brake fluid dark and thick, do you know when was the last time the brakes and clutch were flushed?
David Teitelbaum

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
899 Posts
Subs to this thread. So is there any solutions? What pads has more gripping power with less inputs?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave. If the ABS system has failed won't the tell tail light come on? Brakes were flushed about a year ago. I'll consider sanding the rotors.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The fail light should come on but that is assuming it is not burnt out and you did not notice it's absence during the starting cycle. There also could be error codes or maybe the fuses are blown and the ABS is dead. Watch for the lights to go on and then off the next time you start the motor. Anyway it is worth doing operational checks to be sure the brakes and ABS are working and working correctly. Does the car pull to one side during braking? That is one sign of a stuck caliper. Good that you flush the brakes. At least you know that isn't the problem. There is a special way to bleed the brakes on the Delco system. It requires a Tech 1 to actuate the solenoids. Maybe you have air in the system?
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car stops without going right or left. It's been like that since I acquired the car 5 years ago. My stopping issue is with high speed stops vs low speed.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Not knowing what kind of pads are currently in the car, you could have racing pads, ie, pads that don't grab well when they are cold. Or they are just glazed. Or maybe both front calipers are stuck and you are only stopping with the rear brakes or vice versa. Really need to check the brake and ABS systems. Start by verifying the warning lights light up during start-up and then go out. Next step might be a through bleed using a Tech 1. Then scuff up the pads and rotors and see if that helps. With the wheels raised off the ground have an assistant step on the brakes and see if the brakes on each wheel work.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
5,533 Posts
It IS possible to bleed the Delco brakes without a Tech1 tool. We have helped Yellow Hornet do it several times

·
Registered
144 Posts
Atwell and I have successfully bled my brakes without the Tech1 with zero issues.

In terms of the brakes I had replaced my OEM pads with the Carbotech Panther Plus pads and it was a huge improvement over stock. I would look into the Carbotech line of pads.

Also if you are running the stock brake lines, I would upgrade them the braided lines. I noticed an immediate improvement in the brake pedal feel even with the stock pads. The only thing we did with the rotors was scuff them up.

Atwell.... I think it may be time to bleed the brakes and the clutch fluid again. Once I change out the thermostat... I’ll let you know. .

Dominick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts