The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how Lotus is going to deal with the taller U.S. license plates on the front of the car. There doesn't seem to be any place for it. Will the front be redesigned? Maybe we'll get a proper bumper for those who might have to parallel park? I know some cities are pretty anal about requiring front plates.

--
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
The US requires 5mph bumpers and also sensors for the airbags. Weight, weight, weight...Colin wouldn't approve.

I'm fairly certain that we'll get unique bodywork...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I agree. It may be possible that the factory would just add rubber block the th e front as a solution ti the impact tests. Then we might be able to take them off.
Although saying that Porsche did add blocks to the rear of the Boxster for US spec but they havce cut holes through the rear skirt. So you need to replace the rear skirt ($$) to get the Euro look :(

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Lotus Cars USA people have told me several times that the changes to the body would be very slight. The car will look very very similar to the 111S's that were at the LA Auto Show in January, according to the good folks from Lotus.

I continue to keep my fingers crossed that changes are minimal, and they don't need to do anything that looks "stuck on" or otherwise out of place.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The U.S. does not require 5 mph bumpers. From the DOT website (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/studies/Bumper/Index.html):

3) What are the Federal regulations for bumpers?

49 CFR Part 581, "The bumper standard," prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2½ mph across the full width and 1½ mph on the corners.

This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface, and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards.

5) When did the bumper standard first come into effect and how has it changed over the years?

The most recent revisions to the bumper standard took place in May 14, 1982, effective for MY 1983 and subsequent model year passenger cars. This amendment reduced test impact speeds from 5 mph to 2.5 mph for longitudinal front and rear barrier and pendulum impacts and from 3 mph to 1.5 mph for corner pendulum impacts. In addition, Phase I damage resistance criteria were substituted for Phase II criteria and a bumper height requirements of 16 to 20 inches was established for passenger cars.

9) How does the U.S. the bumper standard compare to the Canadian and European standards?

The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) regulation No. 42 requires that a car's safety systems continue to operate normally after the car has been impacted by a pendulum or moving barrier on the front or rear longitudinally at 4 kilometers per hour (about 2.5 mph) and on the front and rear corner at 2.5 kilometers per hour (about 1.5 mph) at 455 mm (about 18 inches) above the ground under loaded and unloaded conditions.

10) How do I know if my vehicle meets or exceeds the Federal bumper standard?

Manufacturers self-certify their products in order to meet the bumper standard, as well as all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards. Since this is a minimum performance standard, the manufacturer may be providing a greater level of protection. The agency does not require manufacturers to report the actual performance capabilities of their bumper systems.

Although many manufacturers voluntarily include bumper performance information on the window stickers of new passenger cars sold in United States, only California and Hawaii have bumper performance disclosure laws that require manufacturers to be specific about its performance capabilities.

--
Dan

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
There was a rumor floating around about bumpers a while back... according to the rumor, Lotus claimed "financial hardship" would keep them from adding bumpers to the cars before sending them over here. Because of that the DOT/NHTSA is (allegedly) allowing the Elise in the states without bumpers.

Whether or not this is true... who knows. It would not be the first time that Lotus got something into the states that wouldn't be allowed in otherwise because of financial hardship.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
HOLY Moldy thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
does anyone know
05 elise and exige front bumper
are they the same?

cause i am looking for a front lip~
There was no '05 Exige, at least not in the US.

If you are referring to a front splitter, they are different for the Elise and the Exige. You need a model specific splitter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
HOLY Moldy thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::crazyeyes
rotfl

i think he should have a round of applause for using the search feature!~

:clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered