The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone is possibly able to assist with a panel gap adjustment question.

I have pulled the headlights out of my Evora to clean them up a bit, but also to make some minor adjustments to the front panel fitment. The alignment between the bumper and the front clam isn’t bad (the join below the front nose badge), but it could be better (the clam sits a little higher than the bumper).

As per the service notes (relevant section below), there is an ‘adjustable support rail’ that allows adjustment of the front clam height vs bumper. The notes mention it can be adjusted via the there bolts on the back side ‘accessible through the headlight openings’. I can easily get to the bolt either side, but the one in the middle is not accessible.

Does anyone happen to know how to get to the centre bolt without removing the whole clam and bumper? I really only need a tiny adjustment, so don’t want to unnecessarily dismantle the whole front.

Can provide pics of access either side if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Ben

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
i've replace 2 evora clams. once the bumper is slightly deformed, it's really tough to get it aligned again.

have you removed the badge? there is a nut under there. Since you have the headlights out, you can reach in and loosen the two nuts on the sides.

what i've done is to loosen everything holding the front end, realign, and then tighten everything back up. You'll want to have someone holding the bumper while you do this.

Getting the headlights back in and aligned is a nitemare also.

Reactions: DBG

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've replace 2 evora clams. once the bumper is slightly deformed, it's really tough to get it aligned again.

have you removed the badge? there is a nut under there. Since you have the headlights out, you can reach in and loosen the two nuts on the sides.

what i've done is to loosen everything holding the front end, realign, and then tighten everything back up. You'll want to have someone holding the bumper while you do this.

Getting the headlights back in and aligned is a nitemare also.

Thanks for the response mate. I’ve loosened the whole front ready to align, it’s just the one middle bolt on the adjustment rail that I need to get to (near the red arrow on my pic above). As per pic below, there’s no access from either side. Unless the service notes are incorrect I can’t see a way to get to it from the headlight apertures.

I did think about removing the badge (which is needed for clam removal), but even with it removed and the nut below loosened I couldn’t see a way to get to the bolt I need to access.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
IIRC, you can't access the center rail bolt with the front clam in place. But one thing you can try to reduce the gap/lip is to loosen the front bumper cover from the leading edge of the undertray, and then push/pull it as far forward as possible and tighten down those bolts. You'll notice they're slotted, and moving the bumper cover more forward and upward tends to reduce the gap quite a bit without having to drop the leading edge of the clam down.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that mate. Looks like the service notes are wrong in that case. That’s a pity!

Great advice re the alternative thought. Think the bottom bumper adjustments may be close to maxed out, but I’ll give this a go

Worst comes to worst it doesn’t look like a huge deal to remove the clam (much easier than the Elise), but I’d rather not do this unless I have to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Adjusting the bumper from the bottom didn’t really make much difference.

Is anyone able to confirm whether I can get to the middle bolt with the nut under the front badge undone? It doesn’t look like it, but I might give this a go rather than removing the whole clam.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Adjusting the bumper from the bottom didn’t really make much difference.

Is anyone able to confirm whether I can get to the middle bolt with the nut under the front badge undone? It doesn’t look like it, but I might give this a go rather than removing the whole clam.
You can only access the top bolt with the front badge removed. You will not be able to get to the back center support rail bolt.

agentdr8's adjustment recommendation is all you can do without removing the clam. (Just to verify, did you loosen all bumper bolts so you can lift bumper center section allowing slots to adjust by bolt locations and then re-tighten?).

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks heaps for the pics mate, plus the confirmation that I won’t be able to reach the centre support rail bolt with clam on. Was just about to attempt it with front of clam unattached, but I won’t bother.

Yes, loosened all bolts underneath. If I hold it up with a heap of force it sits a bit higher, but even with bolts tightened while I hold it up, it basically falls back down to where it was once released. It’s a little better (millimetre or so), but not much.

I’ll be able to adjust the fitting around the headlights and the headlight position which was my main reason for pulling apart, I’ll just live with the small height difference below the badge until it’s time to remove the clam.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
.............Yes, loosened all bolts underneath. If I hold it up with a heap of force it sits a bit higher, but even with bolts tightened while I hold it up, it basically falls back down to where it was once released. It’s a little better (millimetre or so), but not much......

Did you also loosen the upper bolts? The upper bolts allow the bumper to "lift towards the dash" at the bumper slotted areas by the studs.

Even with everything loosened, there is still a good chance you won't get it perfectly lined up. Mine from the factory was slightly off and over the years I have seen several other brand new cars at dealers with the same issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate. Yes, loosened all, except for the one under the nose badge, but it’s a tiny bit closer in the centre already, so i was hoping the sides would be brought in a bit more with the centre secured.

I might give it another go before I put it all back together tomorrow.

At the end of the day, no one else would notice. It’s just not perfectly lined up. Like you say, similar to most others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts